Changing utility metering point from transformer secondary to primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

I was curious to hear from others how practical it is, or what is typically involved with moving utility metering point from secondary side to primary side of a utility service entrance transformer?

Related to my other recent post I'm looking at a few projects that have 480V utility owned pad mounted transformer location outside of building with SE conductors routed to inside of building. Most of these have utility metering installed at secondary of transformer with PT's, CT's and meter located at secondary.

For some of these I was considering how feasible it may be for customer to install protective device on primary of transformer (MV breaker etc...) which would require moving the utility service entrance to the MV side of the transformer? I'm thinking this would perhaps involve customer purchasing transformer from utility, and making sure the MV equipment met utility requirements (metering sections, etc...)? Do utilities typically have much flexibility with providing a customer SE point at MV vs LV side of transformer?

I'm curious if anyone has ever gone through this process that can share some insight. Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Our utilities have worked with large industries and campus (university-hospital) facilities to accommodate such
I think mainly because TVA calls the shots :)
The specifics have varied over the years as who owns or occasionally rents the equipment involved.
As gar notes, the economics only works out for very large power users who negotiate the rates.

philly

210505-1046 EDT

Why would you want to do this? If nothing else changed, like electric power cost, then you add the transformer losses to the customer's bill.

Basically options for AF mitigation solutions. Installing protective device to trip on primary side vs insertion of new protective device on secondary side. My thought it that it may lend it self to being more flexible from a construction standpoint but may be a lot more complicated from utility and billing process.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have done a few of those, customer had to install an isolation switch and their own transformer. The utility supposedly gives them a better rate on their kw usage.

philly

We have done a few of those, customer had to install an isolation switch and their own transformer. The utility supposedly gives them a better rate on their kw usage.

So the customer had to supply and install a new transformer and couldn't simply take ownership (through financial agreement) of existing utility owned transformer?

I'm assuming that switch that you mentioned was installed on the high side of this transformer? Did the utility install their new metering equipment in this now customer owned switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.