Center grounded Delta to 3 phase exhaust fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
No different that connecting a motor to any other 3 phase supply. Does not matter where the high leg goes on the motor. Just like any other, if the rotation is wrong just swap any 2 leads. It should be mentioned that your high leg should be in the middle position in panels breakers, starters, etc..
When the grounded conductor is also present it is required as well to be identified typically with orange markings of some sort.

Run a feeder or branch circuit to supply a three phase load with no neutral at all - doesn't matter where the high leg lands or if you even identify it as the high leg.

kwired

Electron manager
I’m looking to wire a Three phase motor from a center grounded delta with a high leg. I’m not very experienced with center grounded deltas. There’s no wiring diagram on the motor. The wires have been disconnected by a previous electricIan. I wanted more information on how to wire the motor.
Do you know how to wire the motor for the applied volts or is this also something you know little or nothing about. Often smaller three phase motors are "dual voltage" and can be wired for 208-230 or for 460.

kwired

Electron manager
I can't imagine anyone following this rule and changing the rotation at the motor for that very reason. Part of my substantial for my PI to add an exception so that motor circuit conductors did not have to comply with this was that no matter what the code language says. the rotation will be changed at the motor starter, and a rule that is not going to be complied with does not belong in the code.
Is not a problem at all if the facility has a single voltage system. Where there is potential problems is with multiple voltage systems and the requirement to identify basically all conductors by system and phase. If you swap leads at the controller, you kind of sort of need to re identify the phase everywhere downstream from where you made the change, whether it makes any sense to do so or not.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
O
If you change the rotation at the starter, the colors no longer correctly represent the phase and the code requires the identification by both phase and voltage system.
only if there are two different nominal systems

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Not happening. I have never heard of anyone getting hurt due to a wire being swapped at a starter. The only way I can see it mattering is with a grounded phase. In that case I would just swap the other 2 wires that are not grounded. Different voltages in the building or not, that code is not going to make a difference in a conduit between a starter and the motor. Changing rotation at a motor can take a very long time depending on the type of connection. Same thing with a high leg, swap the other 2 wires that are not the high leg.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is not a problem at all if the facility has a single voltage system. Where there is potential problems is with multiple voltage systems and the requirement to identify basically all conductors by system and phase. If you swap leads at the controller, you kind of sort of need to re identify the phase everywhere downstream from where you made the change, whether it makes any sense to do so or not.
Yes, my first comment on this said it only applied where there is more than one voltage system.
I really doubt that anyone will be enforcing this as written.

There was no technical substantiation provided when the scope of 210 was modified to include motor circuit conductors in the 2017 code, so I doubt that the CMP even gave this a thought.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I just use all black (or purple or yellow) and one green to the motor, no need to re-identify, and NEC legal. ;)
Code compliant if there is only one voltage system in the building. If there is more than one voltage system, it is not compliant starting with the 2017 code.

Status
Not open for further replies.