Ceiling fan lumen upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzzt

Occupation
wirer
So i 've noticed most of the ceiling fans nowadays have crap lumen output and have garbage LED's. I'm looking for a ceiling fan to install in a dining room (old house) that has a center downlight to shine on the table below. Anyone have recommendations of a brand or store?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From what I've seen of most ceiling fans they are poor choice for room lighting. Maybe the type that have 4 or 5 individual lampholders would work best because you can purchase high output LED lamps and screw them in. As you've already mentioned I've yet to see a ceiling fan with a single center light that is worth anything.

kwired

Electron manager
So i 've noticed most of the ceiling fans nowadays have crap lumen output and have garbage LED's. I'm looking for a ceiling fan to install in a dining room (old house) that has a center downlight to shine on the table below. Anyone have recommendations of a brand or store?
Always been a problem unless you wanted to "overlamp" the sockets in the past.

My suggestion - compliment it or even go with fan with no light and use additional recessed lighting or even wall sconces. Center light in a room always leaves dark at the corners unless a really small room.

bzzt

Occupation
wirer
This is a finished old house and not wanting to cut access holes or add openings, just remove/replace.

kwired

Electron manager
This is a finished old house and not wanting to cut access holes or add openings, just remove/replace.
If selecting something with conventional lamp holders, get something with more than one lamp holder then, it no additional lighting (even portable floor/table lamps) then likely needs to be at least three or more lamp holders. Fixed LED types about all you can go on is the rated lumen output.

retirede

My home has Casablancas and they have excellent light output. They are old enough that the integral bulb is halogen, not LED, though. I would check out their current designs, they have a good reputation.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My home has Casablancas and they have excellent light output. They are old enough that the integral bulb is halogen, not LED, though. I would check out their current designs, they have a good reputation.
Back in the day Casablanca was excellent. After Hunter purchased them they turned the Casablanca line into their low end crap line.

James L

Occupation
Electrician

James L

Occupation
Electrician
HEY!!
I’ve wanted to try those! Are they any good? Anyone here ever use them?

I guess for $15 I could get one and see, but an opinion and experience with one would be great!
I haven't tried the color selectable one, but I tried a 3000k on and it was really nice.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Many consumer LED fixtures use a light engine ("pizza"). Only a few companies somewhere out in Taiwan/ROC makes the pizza and they often suck.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
HEY!!
I’ve wanted to try those! Are they any good? Anyone here ever use them?

I guess for $15 I could get one and see, but an opinion and experience with one would be great!
I tried this one. But 17W was not bright enough, I put the old stuff back in.
Maybe my problem is the globe and not the source.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Some of those selectable CCT pizzas are prone to LED element burnouts if you use the lowest CCT or highest CCT setting. The low cost units have equal number of low kelvin and high kelvin LED elements and only one set of elements are used at 100% power at low K or high K settings making them prone to element burnouts. When middle K setting is used, all LED elements are driven at half the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.