Ceiling and wall mounted strobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasd

Hi everybody,

I have a few questions regarding fire alarm strobe devices. Can an existing wall mounted strobe be used as a ceiling mounted? and vice versa? if it is possible, would the only thing to consider will be the coverage area?. I will appreciate your help.

Thank you,

J.S.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've installed many as part of fire-suppression systems, and never seen a ceiling-specific model. But then, I've never needed to install one on a ceiling.

This would be in any instructions that come with the units. Unless one says wall-mount only, I'd use one on a ceiling, oriented for best dispersion..

jasd

I've installed many as part of fire-suppression systems, and never seen a ceiling-specific model. But then, I've never needed to install one on a ceiling.

This would be in any instructions that come with the units. Unless one says wall-mount only, I'd use one on a ceiling, oriented for best dispersion..

Larry,

I appreciate your input on this.

Thank you,

J.S.

ryant35

Every manufacturer makes ceiling and wall specific appliances. The lenses have different characteristics for wall and ceiling and they are not listed or intended to mounted in the incorrect location.
Also certain models have a higher current draw for the ceiling because it takes more power to get the same candela rating distributed 360 degrees.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Every manufacturer makes ceiling and wall specific appliances. The lenses have different characteristics for wall and ceiling and they are not listed or intended to mounted in the incorrect location.
Also certain models have a higher current draw for the ceiling because it takes more power to get the same candela rating distributed 360 degrees.

Some models are dual listed. Siemens has (or had) one or two, but I can't recall the model numbers.

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
Most no, but some modesl are listed for wall and ceiling. I think Edwards is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.