Category Cable Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

So, I don't really do any data or phone cable, but I have a customer that needs a phone jack for DSL on the second floor. I intended to use outdoor or direct burial cat 3 or 5 strapped to the side of the house and up to the bedroom. When I went to order the cable, I stumbled across a credible-sounding guy on a networking forum saying it was very dangerous and against code. Is there a code issue with running this cable on the outside of the building I don't know about?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
So, I don't really do any data or phone cable, but I have a customer that needs a phone jack for DSL on the second floor. I intended to use outdoor or direct burial cat 3 or 5 strapped to the side of the house and up to the bedroom. When I went to order the cable, I stumbled across a credible-sounding guy on a networking forum saying it was very dangerous and against code. Is there a code issue with running this cable on the outside of the building I don't know about?

I don't know why, but it isn't direct burial you will be looking for it is sunlight resistant. I have CAT 5 run outside my house been there for 12 years tucked up under the eve on the north side of the house so it doesn't get sunlight either. Regular CAT 5 no problems.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Good call. I was thinking DB because it would be tough and waterproof. Forgot about the sunlight concern.

In my opinion and in no way to express a knowledge of any applicable code, but the water issue is for water being able to enter the cable. Your ends will be in dry locations so I wouldn't worry about water wicking in to the cable.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
So, When I went to order the cable, I stumbled across a credible-sounding guy on a networking forum saying it was very dangerous and against code. Is there a code issue with running this cable on the outside of the building I don't know about?

Ha! Yeah, IT guys always sound credible. That's how they get their idiot bosses to pay them big money. Problem comes in when actually have to show they know something.

The thing with direct burial cable (and I won't say problem) is that it is filled with a gel or grease so water won't travel if it does get in. The gel or grease can be flammable in some cases so it shouldn't be run inside of a building. If it's a listed cable however (CL2, CMP) there shouldn't be an issue otherwise the Code only allows five feet. This is usually a problem with phone company cable that is not listed and run from outside into a building.

So to answer your question you certainly can run it up the side of the house and in to the jack regardless if it even listed.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.