Cat5e/Cat6 Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybatrex

I’m having a little trouble understanding something in the code book and hope that one of you can point me in the right direction.

I was running cat6 through a garage which according to NEC100 would be a damp location. Where in the code would cat6 be required to be in conduit. It isn’t subject to damage.

I’m looking to understand where I’d be looking in the code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I was running cat6 through a garage which according to NEC100 would be a damp location. Where in the code would cat6 be required to be in conduit. It isn’t subject to damage.

Art 725 covers cat6 data cable. Nowhere does it say that cat6 data cable has to be protected even if subject to damage nor does it say that you have to use weather proof/water proof cable even if direct buried. Data cable isn't a safety concern which is what the NEC is about.

-Hal

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I'll pull it in smurf tube if owner wants future proof the installation as it allows it to be easily removed and changed. The only other consideration has been if pulling thru a plenum then those requirements come in but don't think it has a conduit requirements, just it being plenum rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.