Cat5 in residential home underneath crawlspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
Hi,

I'm running a Cat5 cable underneath a house from point A to B. Isn't it code to protect the cabling inside of ENT conduit so that rodents don't get at it?

Thanks

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If Romex, which is line voltage, can be ran without the protection of ent, what makes you think Cat5 or other low voltage cables would require it?

wondervamp

Occupation
Shop technician
If Romex, which is line voltage, can be ran without the protection of ent, what makes you think Cat5 or other low voltage cables would require it?

That's a great point. I was just thinking that it would be somewhat vulnerable underneath the house to rodents but it will be secured to the floor joist so this will not be much of an issue.

Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Hi,

I'm running a Cat5 cable underneath a house from point A to B. Isn't it code to protect the cabling inside of ENT conduit so that rodents don't get at it?

Thanks

The Code doesn't care how you run it. You can leave it lying on the dirt if you want. But, since you obviously are conscientious, run it in ENT.

-Hal

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't think the code requires you to protect it.

It still might be a good idea to do so.

Having said that, there are millions of miles of telephone wiring that is unprotected, most of which has not been rodent destroyed.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC is concerned with fire and electrical shock, neither of which is much of a concern with Cat 5. The rules for telecommunication wiring are in Chapte 8, which are mostly exempt from the rest of the NEC. No requirement for protection in conduit or raceway, however as pointed out you can do so and ENT is a good option, PVC would offer more protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.