cat 5 damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtraible

Occupation
GC
So guys I am being blamed for this wire not working because it is scuffed up on the outside is that possible there are not any holes or bare wire showing. I do not understand how the contractor can seriously say the wire is compromised because it is scuffed up a little on the outside. I think the self tapping screws on the bracket is the more likely the culprit any opinions would be appreciated.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Removing just some of the insulation without exposing bare wire will change the capacitance to ground or wire to wire of that section of cable and could conceivably form an impedance bump that results in some standing waves and reflections.
IMHO the effect would not be significant, but it is a possible mechanism for affecting performance.
What kind of tester is the GC using? A miswiring of the terminations is a much more likely cause of the problem.
Unlike the standard for telco flat cable, the two male connectors are not wired in reverse color order.
If the wires are terminated to punch down blocks with jacks a wiring error is much less likely.

kurtraible

Occupation
GC
The GC is not using any tester. they are just buying into what the LV contractor is telling them. I am not an electrician, can you tell me what kind of test I should make them show me to prove that the wire has been damaged enough to make it not work. they claim they tested it after they pulled it through the medal window frame

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
If the outer jacket is just scuffed up, that doesn't affect anything. If the cable has been pinched or visibly deformed, that could have damaged a pair or two, even if the outer jacket is undamaged.

We had a contractor drop a Motorola cabinet onto a cable. The louvers cut through and shorted a couple pairs, and killed Ethernet at that site until the cable was unplugged.

There's a guy I work with who manages to get a kink or two in CAT6 cables he pulls. I usually don't notice them until after they've passed tests on a Fluke DTX1800.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
The GC is not using any tester. they are just buying into what the LV contractor is telling them. I am not an electrician, can you tell me what kind of test I should make them show me to prove that the wire has been damaged enough to make it not work. they claim they tested it after they pulled it through the medal window frame

What was the reason for pulling a CAT5 cable through a metal window frame?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the jacket is only scuffed, it's not an issue. It could be worse if the cable was kinked or pulled too hard.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

An electrician or technician familiar with data cables likely will have the equipment to test the cables. Your best bet would be to contact such a person

Status
Not open for further replies.