Can you strip romex and use changeover with small length of conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Maybe someone should ask the CMP to allow a short length of stripped Romex. Say < 6 feet.
maybe common sense should be the determining factor, I understand and respect codes that are designed to reduce injury or death but how many lives are lost from sleeving stripped romex or using tape to identify a wire under #6 with a non manufactured color code.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Not quite getting the need to strip the romex prior to entry into a section of conduit. It is allowed in conduit whole intact, or is it an attempt to circumvent the criteria that NM is not allowed to be used in wet areas, in which case the AHJ would have every right to call it out. Wicking is a real issue with NM exposed to water, have seen it pull water up 8 to 10 ft up hill within NM that was exposed for a light fixture not yet placed. I think this is the reasoning behind the prohibition of stripping NM sheath for introduction into a conduit to avoid the attempted circumvention. The conductors are not listed for wet areas either.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not quite getting the need to strip the romex prior to entry into a section of conduit. It is allowed in conduit whole intact, or is it an attempt to circumvent the criteria that NM is not allowed to be used in wet areas, in which case the AHJ would have every right to call it out. Wicking is a real issue with NM exposed to water, have seen it pull water up 8 to 10 ft up hill within NM that was exposed for a light fixture not yet placed. I think this is the reasoning behind the prohibition of stripping NM sheath for introduction into a conduit to avoid the attempted circumvention. The conductors are not listed for wet areas either.
For one, stripping renders it as individual conductors, which can allow for a smaller conduit than an oval cable.

The conductors may not be listed or labeled as wet-rated, but modern NM conductors certainly qualify as such.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's what we call here a "raised industrial cover". True, it's what is used on a 4 Sq box and Mulberry is just a brand.
This is what we call a "raised cover" (1/2, 5/8, 3/4" etc) here in northern NJ

This is what we call a Mulberry cover (for a switch in this case)

When I ask for them at the supply house they know what I'm talking about. I didn't choose the terminology - the supply houses did.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
This is what we call a "raised cover" (1/2, 5/8, 3/4" etc) here in northern NJ

This is what we call a Mulberry cover (for a switch in this case)

When I ask for them at the supply house they know what I'm talking about. I didn't choose the terminology - the supply houses did.

In our area, your "raised cover" is called a plaster or mud ring.

In our area your "mulberrry cover" is called an industrial "raised cover".

JAP>

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The conductors may not be listed or labeled as wet-rated, but modern NM conductors certainly qualify as such.
Possibly true, on the basis that the manufacturers use wet-rated resins for everything, but there's nothing in the UL standard for NM cable that would require that.

BTW, looking at UL 719, the standard for NM cable. I was surprised to find that 6.2.4 actually prohibits the marking of "conductor-type letter designation" and "current or temperature designation" anywhere on the cable or packaging.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.