Can someone explain the difference between California vs rest of US versions of luminaires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Next with the way Covid is out there they’ll be blaming lights for causing that too

before y'all want to spread too much ridicule about C-19, you might want to wait a few months.
y'all haven't got your asses out of this yet.

right now, southern california air quality management district has has exempted crematoriums
from ash pollution limits, as the bodies are stacking up unburned, and we are running out of reefer trucks.

by may, i knew five people personally who had died from this. there are more, now.

i don't have much of a sense of humor about this, as i listen to ambulance sirens go by the house every
15 or 20 minutes.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
before y'all want to spread too much ridicule about C-19, you might want to wait a few months.

right now, southern california air quality management district has has exempted crematoriums
from ash pollution limits, as the bodies are stacking up unburned, and we are running out of reefer trucks.

by may, i knew five people personally who had died from this. there are more, now.

i don't have much of a sense of humor about this, as i listen to ambulance sirens go by the house every
15 or 20 minutes.
You really are on a jihad over this then?

~S~

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
You really are on a jihad over this then?
When all hospital ICU's are full, parking lots filled up with covid tents, and public service announcements are saying don't call 911, the time has come to seriously consider leaving big cities.

If a doctors prescription won't fix it, there's no room for you in emergency rooms. Don't fall off a ladder, or get involved in an accident. If the accident doesn't get you the medical staff may give you Covid.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If a doctors prescription won't fix it, there's no room for you in emergency rooms. Don't fall off a ladder, or get involved in an accident. If the accident doesn't get you the medical staff may give you Covid.
So, I should be extra careful when I'm on my bike.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

15 or 20 minutes.

What I have been trying to figure out is why this is happening to you and Texas and it's no where near as bad elsewhere. Whatever the reason is it's a disgrace. Something isn't right.

-Hal

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
That's because manufacturers found it's cheaper to just build all their products to comply with CA rather to build one for CA and something else for the rest of the country.

Agreed this is typical with many products that are exported, thats why a 2X4 lumber is an exact 3 X 8 cm in metric, or why Kentucky bourbon is sold by the liter. I fear the day when conduit goes metric ug...

Fulthrotl

What I have been trying to figure out is why this is happening to you and Texas and it's no where near as bad elsewhere. Whatever the reason is it's a disgrace. Something isn't right.

-Hal

first, you have to consider what is reported, and by whom. and if it's valid or not.
and if you think back a while ago, calif, had a lower incidence than a lot of places.
we aren't out of this yet, and that includes places that think they won't have a problem
with it. this show isn't over, by any means.

i don't watch mainstream media. there are some sources i trust, and some i don't.
just like all of us. there has been an awful lot of lying.

several months ago, i put together a pdf of all the information that i found to be vetted.
i put it on dropbox, and put a link on bitly. the only way to counter BS is with factual
information. i've never shared it here, for obvious reasons.

we are a year into this thing, and people still want to politicize it. i'm over it. it isn't a
disgrace, or bad governance. people are still denying it's even real. fine. breathe deep.
suck it up.

i know what i have to do to remain safe. i don't give a flying fork what anyone else does
at this point.

or thinks at this point. including anyone on here.

good luck.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
first, you have to consider what is reported, and by whom. and if it's valid or not.
and if you think back a while ago, calif, had a lower incidence than a lot of places.
we aren't out of this yet, and that includes places that think they won't have a problem
with it. this show isn't over, by any means.

i don't watch mainstream media. there are some sources i trust, and some i don't.
just like all of us. there has been an awful lot of lying... we are a year into this thing, and people still want to politicize it.

I stopped watching mainstream media months ago for the same reasons. I've been doing my own research also. But I can't get a straight answer from anybody I know in Texas and California as to what the people are doing there to cause the spread. Are they in denial and just too stupid to stay away from one another?

-Hal

Fulthrotl

I stopped watching mainstream media months ago for the same reasons. I've been doing my own research also. But I can't get a straight answer from anybody I know in Texas and California as to what the people are doing there to cause the spread. Are they in denial and just too stupid to stay away from one another?

-Hal

it's pretty simple. you need suitable PPE. people won't wear it. they can't
even agree on what it is they won't do, let alone agree on what they will do.

you also need an inviolate criteria about who you will be around without
PPE on. people won't do that, either.

you are only as safe as the worst decision made by the stupidest person
in your sphere of contagion.

that sums it up.

stupidity is not geographically dispersed, internet memes to the contrary.
i live in one of the most politically conservative states in california, orange county.
LA county is one of the more politically liberal counties. six miles away.
fresno might very well be the most politically conservative county in california.
250 miles away.

all three of them are equally afflicted. it isn't the state government. they are far more
inconsistent then i would be, as they reflect the inconsistency of the electorate.

there are currently three new variants of this virus circulating, coming from england,
africa, and brazil. there is also a california splinter almost the same as the english one.
that is why california is burning down right now. that is why england is burning down now.
it's straight biology.

my current level of PPE is half face 3M respirator with P100 filters. that is a minimum for me.
i'll run that level of PPE most likely the rest of this year. i have 3M PAPR's with NIOSH filters
from asbestos abatement work. they work fine in supermarkets. you aren't catching anything
airborne thru them. at all. that strategy is what they use in level 4 hot labs, for respiratory PPE.

is it excessive? hell yes. does it look stupid? most assuredly. the only thing more stupid would
be to have it sitting at home, and get sick 'cause you have it and won't wear it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
...all three of them are equally afflicted. it isn't the state government. they are far more
inconsistent then i would be, as they reflect the inconsistency of the electorate.
The relative population, Fresno>Orange>LA is 1 : 3 : 10. Death totals are roughly 1 : 2.5 : 14. So, the knuckle-draggers are doing about 50% better than the liberals. No idea whether that's statistically significant, but it would suggest that not wearing a mask, if prevalent in the conservative enclaves, isn't the control knob.

Beyond that, I remain as mystified as others. In NJ the case totals are running double what they were at the previous peak. However, deaths are running less than half. So on a per case basis, a 75% reduction in mortality rates. The NY cases are running 1.5 the previous peak, but deaths are just barely a quarter the previous peak. On a per case basis, that's almost an 85% reduction in mortality rates. All data from worldometers.com. To quote the King of Siam, "Is a puzzlement."

retirede

The relative population, Fresno>Orange>LA is 1 : 3 : 10. Death totals are roughly 1 : 2.5 : 14. So, the knuckle-draggers are doing about 50% better than the liberals. No idea whether that's statistically significant, but it would suggest that not wearing a mask, if prevalent in the conservative enclaves, isn't the control knob.

Beyond that, I remain as mystified as others. In NJ the case totals are running double what they were at the previous peak. However, deaths are running less than half. So on a per case basis, a 75% reduction in mortality rates. The NY cases are running 1.5 the previous peak, but deaths are just barely a quarter the previous peak. On a per case basis, that's almost an 85% reduction in mortality rates. All data from worldometers.com. To quote the King of Siam, "Is a puzzlement."

I suspect the reduction in mortality rate could be a number of things.
1) The bug picked off the easiest targets first.
2) We have learned better how to treat the disease.
3) It’s possible that over the past year, people who’ve never had the disease have nevertheless been exposed enough to build a small level of immunity so that once the do get enough of a viral load to actually get sick, their bodies have a better chance of fighting it.

gadfly56

Occupation
I suspect the reduction in mortality rate could be a number of things.
1) The bug picked off the easiest targets first.
2) We have learned better how to treat the disease.
3) It’s possible that over the past year, people who’ve never had the disease have nevertheless been exposed enough to build a small level of immunity so that once the do get enough of a viral load to actually get sick, their bodies have a better chance of fighting it.
All valid conjectures, but why are NJ and NY so different from CA? Why was it so mild in CA to start, and why are they getting hammered now? Is it just an artifact of reporting? Although, Fulthrotl's observations regarding what's going on around him suggests that's not the case.

kwired

Electron manager

-Hal
This exactly the reason why many months ago when some wanted statewide or even nationwide mandates it was a bad idea. Every state or region within a state has different circumstances. Yes the virus was likely to spread nearly everywhere, but some areas were going to get it worse than others, particularly where there is more population density it had better chances of being worse. On top of that not all areas would be hit at same time with it, so a mandate everywhere at same time made no sense either.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Something else I have heard, which I hesitate to even talk about, is that greater than 34% of your cases are illegals or others who have no insurance. EMTs are told that if someone is too far gone, don't even bring them in. So that raises the question about the care they are getting, particularly since all you hear about is the fatigue, deaths and sickness among medical workers.

And then nobody says anything about vaccine distribution either. One would think that it would be a priority. Geeze, my 91 year old mother-in-law got her first a week ago. My wife and I get ours on the 17th.

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Something else I have heard, which I hesitate to even talk about, is that greater than 34% of your cases are illegals or others who have no insurance. EMTs are told that if someone is too far gone, don't even bring them in. So that raises the question about the care they are getting, particularly since all you hear about is the fatigue, deaths and sickness among medical workers.

And then nobody says anything about vaccine distribution either. One would think that it would be a priority. Geeze, my 91 year old mother-in-law got her first a week ago. My wife and I get ours on the 17th.

-Hal
So, my assemblyman sent a link on 1/10 for the vaccine sign up and I put my info in that day. Yesterday (01/21) I received notice that I'm approved to get the vaccine, but that supplies were very limited.

Fulthrotl

So, my assemblyman sent a link on 1/10 for the vaccine sign up and I put my info in that day. Yesterday (01/21) I received notice that I'm approved to get the vaccine, but that supplies were very limited.

a friend of mine works for the fire department. they are running a vax clinic, and if you volunteered
to work it, you got to invite two friends or family for each day you worked. jill and i got invited and
used up one of her days. the state web site is completely hosed. we got the first shot last sat. modera.
the lot that is on hold since the anaphylactic shock cases in san diego. they will find out that something
went south on one day at one location for half a dozen people. over 300k of those doses from that lot
have been shot. only six issues, in one day, in one place. it's not the vax.

speaking to "reporting" and clickbait driven news, my disdain is severe. poor people without access
to health care get sicker and die more, irregardless of their citizenship status. anecdotal information
i get firsthand tells me stuff i can draw conclusions from, but it's hardly carved on stone tablets.

i've heard two ambulances in the last ten minutes. i'm not near a common path to a hospital.
you seldom hear them at night, as they don't go code 3 when traffic is not present. that is information
that has no connecting backstory, but it's not reassuring.

we have some state governments actively manipulating data. the federal government has done so.
news sources have spun it in various directions to monetize clicks.

hm. another siren. briefly. needed to clear an intersection. nope. now louder. coming this way.

speaking to different illness rates within california, fresno county has a much more dispersed
demographic physically. it's not just the numbers, but how tightly are they packed together?

this is a weird virus in a lot of ways. long term effects can be pretty debilitating. and like it or not,
this is a battle, and we are all in it together. and we have to carry our wounded out. as screwy as
it sounds, if you want firsthand information on the long haul situation, there is a moderated facebook
page called COVID19survivorcorps . people will post symptoms, and other people will post what
they have done that has helped treat that. there is a lot of questionable conclusions and information
that may be scattershot, but it's a measure of how unprepared for long term effects we are, that
a stupid facebook group is a lot of people's best shot right now. it has 150k people on it, up from
50k six weeks ago. draw your own conclusions from that. the CDC and WHO are also scraping it.
consider that for a minute.

i appreciate the moderators not locking this thread as it's segued into forbidden waters.

retirede

All valid conjectures, but why are NJ and NY so different from CA? Why was it so mild in CA to start, and why are they getting hammered now? Is it just an artifact of reporting? Although, Fulthrotl's observations regarding what's going on around him suggests that's not the case.

Good questions.
I can conjecture further.

There are differences in virus strains. In the beginning, we really had no idea how this was playing out- it could be argued we still don’t! I read that the east coast variant was traced to Europe - the same one that decimated northern Italy.
The west coast got theirs from China. Maybe not as virulent? Taking longer to get a foothold.
Also, in the early stages, New York sent sick people back to nursing homes in an attempt to open up hospital beds. This proved to be a very bad decision exposing thousands of people who were at a very high risk of death from the disease.

Again, just speculation.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Fixtures that can hold a regular edison bulb are forbidden in most residential use in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.