Can someone explain the difference between California vs rest of US versions of luminaires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Fixtures that can hold a regular edison bulb are forbidden in most residential use in California.

they aren't forbidden as much as not workable.
you have a luminare that is rated for 100 watt max,
and your lighting density has to reflect that amount
per fixture. and the watts per square foot are right down
in the LEED ranges, meaning not very much.

in common areas like hallways in apartment buildings,
three tenths of a watt per square foot are not uncommon.
i've done three apartments in the last couple months that
fell into that range. the lights dim to 50% after fifteen minutes
with no triggers to the occ sensors, and remain on 24 hours a day.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
speaking to different illness rates within california, fresno county has a much more dispersed
demographic physically. it's not just the numbers, but how tightly are they packed together?
OK, good on Fresno, but Orange County has a population density of 3,200/sqmi and LA County is 2,100/sqmi. If population density is controlling, then you'd expect an adjusted rate in Orange that's 1.5 greater. So, 3,000,000 with 2546 dead in Orange, there should be [(14,000,000/3,000,000) x 2546]/1.5 = 7,920 dead in LA County. Actual total today is 14,641 or just about 2X expected on this basis. Comparing both to Fresno, it's interesting that total population is a better indicator than density, if still not really good, because Fresno is 1/14 the density of Orange and 1/21 that of LA and on that basis should be showing 100 dead, not 1020. There may be population inhomogeneity issues at work, where there is a much higher local density within each county that could account for the apparent strangeness, but I really have no idea of the general character of each.

We can only go by the numbers we get. However fiddled and diddled they may be, they are the only ones we have, unless you've got alternative sources.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
OK, good on Fresno, but Orange County has a population density of 3,200/sqmi and LA County is 2,100/sqmi. If population density is controlling, then you'd expect an adjusted rate in Orange that's 1.5 greater. So, 3,000,000 with 2546 dead in Orange, there should be [(14,000,000/3,000,000) x 2546]/1.5 = 7,920 dead in LA County. Actual total today is 14,641 or just about 2X expected on this basis. Comparing both to Fresno, it's interesting that total population is a better indicator than density, if still not really good, because Fresno is 1/14 the density of Orange and 1/21 that of LA and on that basis should be showing 100 dead, not 1020. There may be population inhomogeneity issues at work, where there is a much higher local density within each county that could account for the apparent strangeness, but I really have no idea of the general character of each.

We can only go by the numbers we get. However fiddled and diddled they may be, they are the only ones we have, unless you've got alternative sources.

alternative sources are way too close to alternative facts.. ;-)
not touching that, and i don't have anything more than you do.

and you are right, it's perplexing. there is a lot about this that
we don't understand yet, and slapping blue or red whitewash
over it doesn't help any of us with it.

i've been to fresno a few times in the last two months on lighting certifications.
i have zero clue on why fresno is doing as well as they are. bully on them.
i think they live a charmed life.

i walk into a starbucks, fresno. blackstone ave. they are trimming out.
lutron is there, programming. Vive system, couple hours work tops.
there are 25~30 different people, all trades, trying to wrap it. 2000 sq ft
occupancy. no HVAC yet. no airflow.

stick head in door. nobody, repeat nobody, has a mask of any type on. including
the electrical inspector. except one guy. the lutron programmer. i go out to the car,
change the half mask for the PAPR, and go inside. talk to the lutron programmer,
who is NOT thrilled to be inside, and suggest he program it from outside the store.
we go outside. he's a bit freaked. i'm fine. i''m not taking off the mask until i'm done.

the logical progress of viral mutation seems to be predictable, however. we have a
disbursed virus evolving randomly. this latest round of variants are similar enough
and are occurring close enough on a timeline to indicate they are naturally evolving.

however, when the viruses are standing around in the parking lot after work, shooting
the bull, and england and south america are bragging about their newest offerings,
and africa say.... hold my beer, watch this... everyone stands back respectfully and
waits.... everyone has seen south africa step up to the plate. they don't screw around.

probably the best thing i have read on pandemics is this, and it's long, but gives a
pretty good insight as to how we got here. politically and socially, 1918 and 2020
aren't much different in some of the stuff we have done with this.

lets remember that the spanish flu didn't start in spain. it started in the US,
spain was the only nation not suppressing reporting on the pandemic for war purposes,
and they got it named after them as a result.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Fixtures that can hold a regular edison bulb are forbidden in most residential use in California.
Just for new recessed downlight luminaires in ceilings. 2019 CEC 150.0(k)(1)(C)(v). Other luminaires just have to have JA8 lamps installed, 150.0(k)(1)(G).

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. I do gather from the way this thread has gone that CA luminaires cause COVID, however. : - )

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I gotta say getting rid of the Edison base is a mistake, that's like changing us from NEMA 5-15's because appliances use too much power.
Just my humble opinion.
I get it its an education issue, nobody wants to use more power than they need to.
But dont get rid of the old E26 or whatever the correct term for Edison base is.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
probably the best thing i have read on pandemics is this, and it's long, but gives a
pretty good insight as to how we got here. politically and socially, 1918 and 2020
aren't much different in some of the stuff we have done with this.

The one thing we didn't have back then is a vaccine. What are your thoughts on the three vaccines and getting them into the arms of people?

-Hal

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The one thing we didn't have back then is a vaccine. What are your thoughts on the three vaccines and getting them into the arms of people?

-Hal
from my reading mRNA is actually a decade old technology , invested in by many of the major pharameutials . yet more a 'therapy' than what would be considered categorically a 'vaccine'.....i'm also finding more remedies in the news, albeit some not quite mainstream, ignored.....~RJ~

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
from my reading mRNA is actually a decade old technology , invested in by many of the major pharameutials . yet more a 'therapy' than what would be considered categorically a 'vaccine'.....i'm also finding more remedies in the news, albeit some not quite mainstream, ignored.....~RJ~
mRNA provides a means for causing cells to create a particular protein without any change to the genetic material (DNA) of the cell.
If that protein is an antibody you have a treatment. If that protein is an antigen you have a vaccine.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.