CAN OF WORMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

electromgr

Good afternoon. One of our sub's opened this issue, by not BONDING the EGC to 4 in. metallic Wiremold, which contains several duplex receptacles. NEC 352-9 could be construed as requiring a bond, 250-74 definately requires a bonding jumper "to a grounded box." (Excpt.#1 cannot be used, as the W/M mounting bracket is non-metallic.) My inquiry to Wiremold re: a bonding terminal brought the following response: No jumper required; If properly installed, the metal conduit will serve to ground the RACEWAY. This may be true, but it doesn't seem to address the NEC sections previously mentioned, and will likely not pass inspection. (VA location; all Code ref's are 1996 Edition.) Would like to hear your opinions.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: CAN OF WORMS

If there is an EGC in the raceway that feeds the surface metal raceway, in my opinion, 250-114(a) requires the EGC to be connected to the surface metal raceway. Yes, this section uses the word 'box' and the surface metal raceway is not a box, but in this case it is serving as both a box and a raceway.
Don

electromgr

Don,
Thanks for your input. I had looked at that paragraph also. It appears that Wiremold is just blowing smoke, and there may be a UL issue here.

gwz2

Reading 314.1 may also help in making a judgement

250.148 was not mentioned in these postings yet.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.