can lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

gserve

If you have a recessed can light that has IC protection is it assumed that you can put insulation right up to it? I do not have the installation instructios or know what brand it is. Thanks

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: can lights

The manufacturers have them UL listed as IC rated but here in Florida the thermal limits still trip out during the summer.I have had several service calls that required unburrying the can from 20 ins. of insulation.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

That's because the ambient attic temperature is 120 degrees and the can heats up from there.

-Hal

[ March 11, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Doesn't "IC protection" mean there is a thermal breaker that will trip if the can light gets too hot? I don't think this type of light is supposed to have insulation aginst it. I thought it was more of an "idiot" proof light that would simply shut itself off if installed incorrectly.

Is it possible you all are thinking of a light rated "IC" for insulation contact? (I find it hard to believe all three of you could be wrong, so I am really wondering what I am missing here?)

Steve

ryan_618

Originally posted by steve66:
Doesn't "IC protection" mean there is a thermal breaker that will trip if the can light gets too hot? I don't think this type of light is supposed to have insulation aginst it. I thought it was more of an "idiot" proof light that would simply shut itself off if installed incorrectly.

Is it possible you all are thinking of a light rated "IC" for insulation contact? (I find it hard to believe all three of you could be wrong, so I am really wondering what I am missing here?)

Steve
I beleive IC is insulation contact

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Ryan:

IC does stand for insulation contact. Fixtures are either rated IC or non-IC.

The IC ones usually (if not always) have a large metal box around them to create a space between the lamp/ballast and any insulation. They can be burried in insulation.

The non-IC ones are usually "thermally protected against imporper contact with insulation" (quote from a catalog).

Gserve said his light has "IC protection", and that sounds like a non-IC fixture.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.