Can I VFD this motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
You can run pretty much any VFD without a motor. Programming wise any of them. To “run” it needs to be in V/Hz mode only (vector does not work for obvious reasons...no feedback current). There is usually a fault code you need to disable as well. This is a standard feature. Drives on 3 contactor bypass systems will fault if the output contactor switches. Same with the input (line) side which also usually allows single phase operation.
Makes sense, probably when I have run them in past with no motor they were V/Hz mode. I just remember one time trying to do that with Schneider drive like was pictured it wouldn't run and returned a fault code. Been long enough ago I don't recall the details or what I ended up doing to accomplish my testing.

paulengr

Makes sense, probably when I have run them in past with no motor they were V/Hz mode. I just remember one time trying to do that with Schneider drive like was pictured it wouldn't run and returned a fault code. Been long enough ago I don't recall the details or what I ended up doing to accomplish my testing.

Two choices. Disable the fault code or use a “dummy” motor, say 1 HP. Something small and easily transported. Still won’t fix vector mode but fine on V/Hz.

On testing drives and breakers you have to get comfortable with the idea of jumpering/programming things you would never do with normal operation just to test with the understanding that you need to switch everything back when done. It’s just like jumpering various interlocks just to test a control circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.