Can I become a qualified Journeyman Electrician if I am a foreigner?

Frank Licata

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi guys,

Im a qualified electrician (10 years experience) from South Africa. My wife landed a position at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
I would like to know if i will be able to get a job in the electrical industry and if ill be able to qualify as a Journeyman and maybe in the future as an Master Electrician?

Regards,
Check with your state board to learn the procedure. Also inquire with reciprocating states. Quick story: Here in MA I knew a co-worker who immigrated from Ireland with vast trade experience there and documented work and school hours. He just wanted to take the Journeyman test but MA would not recognize the time towards 4-year apprenticeship, but NH would so he tested and became licensed there and then reciprocated his new NH license in MA.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
We do things differently here, and aren't particularly welcoming of immigrants,

Most people get past this attitude if they have it at all. If you adapt well and are a team player, you should have no real problems. I’ve worked with people from all over the world. Those folks who make no effort to learn English are the only irritation I have.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
There are Road Signs in Alaska & Minnesota warning tourists of the mosquitos carrying humans off. Not sure if it's true or not, I limit my time in those areas.;)
Nah, our coastal mosquitoes in NC are the record holders. Any coastal resident will tell you that’s why NC has always been safe against a Russian invasion. 🤣

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
There are Road Signs in Alaska & Minnesota warning tourists of the mosquitos carrying humans off. Not sure if it's true or not, I limit my time in those areas.;)
The last time I was in Minnesota, (summer, up in the North Woods north of Duluth) there were very few mosquitoes.
I think the black flies (deer flies? moose flies?) got 'em all.