California State License Board questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabepari

Not sure if this is pertinent to this board, but I have a few questions about contractor licensing in California.

I have attempted many times to contact the CSLB and just get disconnected by their wonderful automated help system. I'm hoping there is someone out there with the same business structure that can point me in the right direction.

My brother, who holds a sole proprietor B license, and I, sole proprietor C-10, would like to form a partnership. We have been working together for a while, and to consolidate all the insurance requirements, we would like to put both of our licenses under a single entity.

I can see a few ways to do this, but without being able to talk to someone who is in the know, I'm not sure if they are feasible.

The best option I can come up with is to have the B license under the partnership and to have the C-10 be an additional classification of the B. But I'm not to sure how to accomplish this.

If anyone has this same sort of setup or knows anything that would help, thanks in advance for your assistance.

Gabe Pari

G

Re: California State License Board questions

I would suspect the best solution would be to apply for a "Joint Venture License". The license lasts for 2-years just like a regular license:
Joint Venture License for CA CSLB

I have an interesting story: A friend was a licensed CA Solar Contractor. He wanted to score a job installing runway lights that were powered up by an Interactive Power System. The primary power was to be supplied by Electric Generating Wind Turbines. It would be connected to the grid to "store" excess power generated. The airport required a Solar Contractor to do the Wind Part. The runway lights required an CA Electrical Contractor. They formed a joint venture. Here was the sweet part: Combined bids were given overall preference. By going in as a Joint Venture with both licenses he was able to get top dollar for the job and still be in the running. He was the ONLY dual licensed Solar/Electrical contractor in the bid.

I don't believe CA allows partnership licenses. There may be a way to combine licenses on a Corporate license. Also, you may be able to have of you assume the license of the other and then start one company, but again a partnership may not be allowed. Check with: CSLB home page for details on that.

../Wayne

[ September 05, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

Status
Not open for further replies.