Calculation help

Michaelxscott

Occupation
Electrician
Existing residential 320 service
2x 200 amp panels

I want to add new circuts and pull as many amps as I possibly can continuously, safely.

How would I calculate this based on current/Existing usage?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Existing residential 320 service
2x 200 amp panels

I want to add new circuts and pull as many amps as I possibly can continuously, safely.

How would I calculate this based on current/Existing usage?

You need to do a load calculation based on Art. 220. Are you planning on bit coin mining

Michaelxscott

Occupation
Electrician
You need to do a load calculation based on Art. 220. Are you planning on bit coin mining

I know I have to do the calculation I'm just not sure how...would you do a generic calculation based on square footage?..then subtract that from 320 and that's what I can pull? My friend is yeah

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You need to find out what size a/c units or heat pumps they have and find out whether there is electric heat, water heaters etc. The calculation is complex and for data mining you may need more service than 320.

Michaelxscott

Occupation
Electrician
I was thinking that..about having to go through the whole home and get name plates for everything...and yeah it's definitely not enough but he just wants as much as we can get..

Michaelxscott

Occupation
Electrician
So theoretically...if i go though the whole house and do a solid load calculation on what's existing...and I get a total connected load of say 250 amps..would I be able to say ok..I have 70 amps available? Am I going about that the right way?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
You need to find out what size a/c units or heat pumps they have and find out whether there is electric heat, water heaters etc. The calculation is complex and for data mining you may need more service than 320.
I know that this is a bit off topic, but since you brought it up, IMO bitcoin "mining" is a colossal waste of energy. Again IMO the "miners" should be required to generate their own energy rather than sucking it out of the grid; let's see if it would be worth it then.