Cable tray clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Can someone tell me what (if any) clearances are required between cable tray and the ceiling in Canada?
I cant find anything. Can you post the code section and wording too?
I don't have access to the Canadian code and I'm going to have to quote chapter and verse. My say so doesn't mean a lot unless I have it in writing.

ron

Can't tell you for Canada, but in the US (NEC) there is no distance requirement (assuming no splicing / boxes or special conditions), just the common sense of being able get your hands in there to dress the cables in the tray.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I am looking at [2012 CEC] 12-2200 (6)
Code:
The minimum clearances for cable trays shall be
(a) 150 mm vertical clearance, excluding depth of cable trays, between cable trays installed in tiers
except that, where cables of 50 mm diameter or greater may be installed, the clearance shall
be 300 mm;
(b) 300 mm vertical clearance from the top of the cable tray to all ceilings, heating ducts, and heating
equipment and 150 mm for short length obstructions;
(c) 600 mm horizontal clearance on one side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another or to walls
or other obstructions, where the width of the cable tray installation does not exceed 1 m; and
(d) 600 mm horizontal clearance on each side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another, where
the width of the cable tray installation exceeds 1 m.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I am looking at [2012 CEC] 12-2200 (6)
Code:
The minimum clearances for cable trays shall be
(a) 150 mm vertical clearance, excluding depth of cable trays, between cable trays installed in tiers
except that, where cables of 50 mm diameter or greater may be installed, the clearance shall
be 300 mm;
(b) 300 mm vertical clearance from the top of the cable tray to all ceilings, heating ducts, and heating
equipment and 150 mm for short length obstructions;
(c) 600 mm horizontal clearance on one side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another or to walls
or other obstructions, where the width of the cable tray installation does not exceed 1 m; and
(d) 600 mm horizontal clearance on each side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another, where
the width of the cable tray installation exceeds 1 m.
Thanks!

m sleem

Article 392 ● C able Trays

392.18 Cable Tray Installation.

(F) Adequate Access. Sufficient space shall be provided and maintained about cable trays to permit adequate access for installing and maintaining the cables.

eleceng7

Occupation
Eng
Guys, this can be a stupid question but is there any clearance for the Comm cables running in the Cable Tray? Please advise.

Edit: FYI, I am looking for the Canadian Code.

Last edited:

Eddy_Current

Guys, this can be a stupid question but is there any clearance for the Comm cables running in the Cable Tray? Please advise.

Edit: FYI, I am looking for the Canadian Code.
Clearance from each other or clearance from other conductors?

Clearance from other conductors is 60-308

Clearance from each other depends on what type of cables they are. Do they have power like a POE, BAS or CCTV? If so there are restrictions on bundling and ampacity rating on them covered in 16-330 and table 60

eleceng7

Occupation
Eng
Hey Eddy
Clearance from each other or clearance from other conductors?

Clearance from other conductors is 60-308

Clearance from each other depends on what type of cables they are. Do they have power like a POE, BAS or CCTV? If so there are restrictions on bundling and ampacity rating on them covered in 16-330 and Table 60

Thanks, Eddy_Current.

May I ask, which codebook you are referencing? I was being told that a 600mm clearance is required between the Cable Tray (POE and Data cables) and EMT conduit rack (120V cables enclosed in Conduits) as per section [2012 CEC] 12-2200 (6). Does the above rule apply to this installation even though no electrical cables are being run in the cable tray? I am perplexed!!

Eddy_Current

Hey Eddy

Thanks, Eddy_Current.

May I ask, which codebook you are referencing? I was being told that a 600mm clearance is required between the Cable Tray (POE and Data cables) and EMT conduit rack (120V cables enclosed in Conduits) as per section [2012 CEC] 12-2200 (6). Does the above rule apply to this installation even though no electrical cables are being run in the cable tray? I am perplexed!!

I am referencing the 2018 code.
Why are you referencing the 2012?

The codes I quoted are for distances between conductors on the tray as that is what I thought you were asking.

The codes from 12-2200 are for clearances from a cable tray to other cable trays, or other objects.

And yes, 600mm clearance is what you would need from a cable tray to a conduit rack, regardless of what you have in the cable tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.