Cable to Wireway to Panel and 312.5(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
312.5(C) says "Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure."

Say you mount a piece of wireway or other enclosure just above a panel, with a few large nipples down into the top of the panel enclosure. And you bring multiple cables into the the top of the wireway. And you'd like to extend the wires to the panel without splicing.

If the cables have marked inner wires (like MC ?) then the cable sheath can terminate at the wireway, and the wiring method between the wireway and the panel is wires in conduit as usual. But if the cables don't have marked inner wires (like NM), is this an allowable arrangement?

It seems to me the cable sheath would have to extend into the panel (and so the nipples would have to comply with conduit fill per the cable diameter and 60% fill allowance), as the sheathless wires are unmarked. But then is 312.5(C) satisfied? Is securement to the wireway that is connected to the cabinet implicitly sufficient?

If so, does it matter than the wireway/enclosure is right next to the panel? Could it be, say, 10' away (with even larger conduits, as the conduit fill is limited to 40%)?

Cheers, Wayne

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my opinion, securing the cables to the wireway is enough for the sheaths, and is all that section calls for. Once inside, you're in a conduit installation like any other.

I also feel that continuing the conductors unspliced to their terminals is superior to making all those splices just for the purpose of transitioning to wire with printing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.