Cable Pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think there's a quantity limit. Each cable's pulling force will only apply to that cable, as long as your feeding is good.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Depends on how easily they pull and if you can feed them without kinking. Your problem probably won't be the pull but wrestling with 40 boxes. I always opted for cable on reels. Definitely two men, maybe three depending on how long. Might want to do two pulls of 20. Also, plenum kinks just looking at it.

Keep in mind also that 40,000 feet of cable is big bucks especially if you are only pulling a hundred feet. So it pays to buy 10 boxes and do four pulls.

-Hal

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So that’s my question. You wouldn’t set up 40 reels or even 20 for a pull, correct? So you could pull that many cables at once.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Use ten boxes and with each pull have a pull string to use on the next pull. Yep a three person job, one on the boxes, one at the entry to the tray and one pulling. I have never used spools for Cat wire but not a bad idea, set up on an axle

hbiss

Occupation
EC
set up on an axle

I have one of these:

b1f620b6-b919-4599-ad2d-6902ab19a145

I think you can get two or three 1000' reels per axle (depending on width of reel). At least 3 probably 4 axles. (They are not all shown, looks like 5.)

-Hal

Last edited:

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Our crews use boxed cable, up to 10 individual boxes depending upon the total number of cables. It's either 2 people or 3 people, again depending upon the number of cables, total length of the pull and other conditions. Don't apply too much stress to the cables as the individual conductors are on the order of 24 or 22 AWG.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Our crews use boxed cable...

There are two types of "boxed cable". There is the reel-in-a box and "Unreel" where the cable is wound like a ball of twine using no reel.

Reel-in-a box cable can be hard to pull, especially when you have multiple boxes. But the advantage is that you can take the reels out of the boxes and pull off a wire cart if you have multiple runs. It's the way to go when you just need to pull single runs.

Unreel I have no patience for. Inevitably some boxes will get tangles inside making you stop and cut open the box to try and fix it. I drop kicked one box across a space once because it kept happening during a 100 foot pull.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.