Cable/conduit seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozosboss

Multi-conductor tray cable (type TC run in cable tray) that is routed through a C1/D2 area into an enclosure with a "Z" purge system. The cables enter this enclosure utilizing only a hub and "CGB" type connector, no cable seal. Isn't this okay per NEC 501.15 (E)(1) Exception 1?

1 1/2" RMC entering this same enclosure from a C1/D2 area. A seal is installed but between the seal and the enclosure is a 1 1/2" LB, (Non-XP). I believe this is incorrect and an XP type LB must be installed per NEC 501.15(A) (1).

Am I interpreting these sections correctly?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am assuming ??entering this same enclosure?? means the enclosure in the second example is also Type Z pressurized.

The critical points for Division 2 are actually found in the opening sentences of 501.15 (B)(1) and (E)(1). Assuming the enclosure is properly pressurized per NFPA 496, it is not required to be explosionproof in either example and a seal is not required for the enclosure. See also 500.7(D).

Note boundary seals (as opposed to enclosure seals) may be necessary for other reasons as the case may be.

bozosboss

Cable/Conduit seals

Cable/Conduit seals

Thanks for the info. but I am more confused. If the area around the purged/pressurized enclosure is C1/D2 (area outside the enclosure) and the interior of the enclosure is unclassified due to the NFPA 496 "Z" purge wouldn't seals for both the conduit and cable be required since this now defines the boundary between classified and unclassified areas?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
See 501.15 (B)(2) Ex No 3.

Note 1. This is speaking specifically about the boundary created at the enclosure. If the raceway continues on to another Division 2/unclassified boundary a seal may be necessary depending on the situation.

Note 2. For cable only systems 501.15 (E) only mentions a Division 2/unclassified boundary in Subsection (4). Subsection (4) does not apply to Type TC cables.

bozosboss

Cable/conduit seals

I hate to keep beating this dead horse but here goes - based on you last comment then and the NEC am I correct in assuming the point at which the conduits enter the pressurized enclosure do not require boundary or enclosure seals but the point at which the TC cables in tray enters the pressurized enclosure does require seals? Is this due to the TC cable jacket not having an overall jacket preventing the transmitting of gasses/vapors?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Think in terms of ?Protection Techniques? [Section 500.7] versus ?Wiring Methods? [Sec 501.10]. Recognize that they are related subjects but not the same.

At the moment, we have essentially dealt with two different protection techniques (Explosionproof Apparatus [500.7(A)] and Purged and Pressurized [500.7(D)]. We have also been discussing two different wiring methods that are acceptable in Division 2; i.e., various threaded metal raceways or Type TC cables. Both are referenced either directly or indirectly in 501.10(B), the Division 2 Section.

If the enclosure were required to be explosionproof in Division 2, enclosure seals are necessary to maintain the integrity of the ?Explosionproof Apparatus? protection technique and the wiring method is relevant only as to the specific method of the seal?s installation.

If the Type Z ?purged and pressurized? protection technique is used, enclosure seals are generally unnecessary no matter what the wiring method. There is a moderate exception to this general statement- seals may be needed to maintain the pressure in the enclosure. This will depend on the overall design of the purging/pressurizing system. However, since there is no explosionproof integrity to maintain, the seals are not required to be explosionproof either.

Setting the enclosure requirements aside for the moment, we then review the needs of seals as they apply to wiring methods at ?boundaries.?

For Type TC cable only systems it?s fairly simple ? they don?t need them. UL states Type TC cables have a ?gas/vaportight continuous sheath.? Subsection 501.105(E)(4) is the only place that mentions a ?boundary? as it applies to cable seals and it doesn?t apply to Type TC.

For raceway systems the situation is significantly more complicated. Each case has to be evaluated under 501.105(B)(2) and its exceptions. Even if one is required, it does not need to be explosionproof.

bozosboss

Cable/conduit seals

When you look at it from protection techniques it does become clearer. Thanks for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.