Cable and Phone wire - AHJ's jurisdiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Does phone and cable follow the same 6 foot rule from the outer edge for an attic access hole. Can the AHJ enforce this since it is low voltage? Im thinking no. Im hoping no, because I didn't do the Phone and cable and I don't want him to fail me for this.

hurk27

Re: Cable and Phone wire - AHJ's jurisdiction?

Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is not subject to the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7 except where the requirements are specifically referenced in Chapter 8.
With that said, The only requirment that references chapters 1-4 close to this is 800.6 where it references 300.4(D) which is about the require 1?" set back from the edge of a framing member.
To me I would be allowed But I think not a good idea?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

It's not even that general. If the rule were in 300 or 110, I'd agree with Wayne completely. But in this case, the requirement for NM near attics is in 334.23, which directs you to the rule in 320.23. So, in essence, this rule only applies to the specific cables that direct you to the rule.

800 doesn't seem to care about this rule.

I fail to understand the point of the rule, myself, because once you get out of the 6' radius of the access, what's the difference? Is it to keep an individual from tripping on cables while his eyes are adjusting, which is once he's 6' in? This one has always kinda left me scratching my head.

Now that this has come up, I think I'll start ignoring this for low voltage, as I have always practiced it. Seems like a waste of time.

What does it accomplish?

jimwalker

So if it gets red tagged it tells the GC why.If he makes you come out to look at it then charge him for the trip.I have seen lots worse from some of these data and alarm guys.Do make sure they did not share any of your holes.If the inspectors fails the job because of this don't take it as he failed you.He is forced to reject some jobs even when he knows it was not the EC fault.Pass all cost to the GC and he in return passes it to the person causing the problems.Often see carpenters adding stuff and notch around our wires,then comes inspector and fails us for no nail plate.No problem charge for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.