C1D1GC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffKiper

Electrical geek
Occupation
Controls guy
Existing system the customer wants to change a field dwvice from IS to XP. The conduit is 1" GRC. A seal at the enclosure end of the conduit and standard fittings from there put to the end device. Im trying to understand what fittings can be used if they decide to change the end devices to XP. Can the just put a sealoff on the XP device or does the entire pipe run need to be XP?

The wires are unbroken and there are no spark producing devices in the conduit run. The end device is in an XP housing and all terminations are made in the housing.
I'm a programming geek. Before I start working on a system where the devices where changed I want to check the other guys work. Lives can depend on these things.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You have some serious issues beginning with Section 501.10(A)(3). Hint: No arching devices in the conduit run is pretty much irrelevant for non-IS Class I, Division 1. Check Section 501.10(A)(1) as well.

your next issue will be Section 501.15(A), especially Section 501.15(A)(4) but the entire Section is applicable.

JeffKiper

Electrical geek
Occupation
Controls guy
Bob I apologize for not responding.

The customer has stated that they are going to change the extire conduit run to XP. There are 3 fittings in the conduit that are not XP. they intend to replace them with XP fittings and reuse the existing pipe.

Current installation has an IS pipe run from the electrical cabinet to the field junction box. This run has a sealoff at the control cabinet then a pulling C , LB and an 3 piece union. Non of these 3 fittings are XP.
The intent is to pull the IS wiring back from the field junction box and replace the C, LB and 3 union with fittings rated for C1D1. Then replace the field Junction box with the XP device.

Replacing the 3 fitting will be easier then fighting a new conduit run under the decking.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
If I understand your solution correctly, the only thing else you need to consider is a boundary seal somewhere. [Section 501.15(A)(4)] The existing union may also already be suitable.

JeffKiper

Electrical geek
Occupation
Controls guy
Bob the entire area is C1D1. So the existing union. Would be replaced also.

Thanks for your fast reply

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Bob the entire area is C1D1. So the existing union. Would be replaced also.

Thanks for your fast reply
I was just saying most "standard" RMC [Article 344] unions (not Erickson types) are already suitable for Class I, Division 1. Of course, replacing them is still OK.

I'm sorry I didn't mention it earlier, you will most likely now have a Division 2 location as well. [Section 500.5(B)(2)(3)]

Status
Not open for further replies.