c1d1 level switch in a c1d2 rated area

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcabrera

i am packaging a pump system for customer with their supplied instrumentation.

the area classification is c1, d2, group c/d per the supplied documentation.

the sticky situation is they have supplied a level switch that is c1, d1 rated. i have added a rated elbow and seal directly out of the switch, isolating it from the rest of conduit run. this installation should satisfy 501.10 (A) 501.15(A) and 501.15 (4).

am i missing something?

MkdZxOr.jpg

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If the location is Division 2, what are the references to Sections 501.10(A) and 501.15(A) about? There's nothing basically wrong with using Division 1 equipment in Division 2. [See Section 500.8(B)(2)]. Not sure what 501.15 (4) refers to.

cdcabrera

the C1, D1 switch needs a seal per the mfg documentation to maintain the FM rating. i am getting push back that adding the seal makes the area C1, D1 so 501.10(A)(1) wiring methods apply along with 501.15(A) sealing requirements based on the API chart above. however, based on my understand of 500.8(B)(2) adding the seal maintains the FM rating to keep the mfg happy, but since its in a C1, D2 rated area once i pass the seal C1, D2 wiring methods are acceptable. would that be a correct statement?

0M5NvEj.png

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
One always begins by classifying the location first then selecting an appropriate protection technique. Adding the seal is a requirement per Section 500.8(B)(2)b) and its cross-references. It didn't change the location's classification to Division 1.

Basically, the switch needed to comply with Section 501.105(B). Since there are make-and-break contacts [Section 501.105(B)(2)] it refers back to Section 501.105(A) which requires the switch to be identified for Division 1. In this case, the "identification" is an explosionproof enclosure that is required to be sealed. That doesn't alter the location's electrical area classification though.

cdcabrera

the saga continues and we learn a life lesson. get to the source as quick as possible because information gets lost in the exchange and you end up chasing your tail. the end user is 100% correct in the issue, the level switches are attached to an unseal tank collecting oil, thus creating an C1, D1 area classification. the information relayed to me as the issue was with the switches,. a 2 min phone call cleared up their concern and so its time to redesign the wiring to meet 501.10

Status
Not open for further replies.