Butt Splice Leads in a ceiling fan down rod

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I had one fan that we had a 4' down rod. The wires were within 2" of the end of the pipe... you would think they would make it reach a pretty common size
Seems like if I'm installing one with only the short nipple, there is 15' of wire to cut off!
But if I have to add a long rod, there isn't enough.
I will fess up to splicing in the downrod!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They did: three feet. :sneaky:
You may be right but they make, without being custom made, 6' rods so they should leave the wire long enough for that size downrod. Of course, 6 feet is uncommon so they don't want to waste wire...

Since the rod and fan are together I wonder whether the NEC has any input into the equipment per se.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Not sure how practical that would be, when I take fans apart for scrap the wires usually won't pull out (except the blue to light kit connection)
Yeah might not be so easy. I haven't taken one apart that far since 1980 something. Probably wasn't worth doing then, I think I did it just because someone said I couldn't fix it. I think there was a petite blonde and some beer involved too

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They used to sell wire extensions that included butt splices. Now it looks like Hunter includes a "Wago" type connector instead of a butt splice.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Aren't there connectors approved for use ?on Romex? behind the sheetrock, without a box?