Busbar or 50mm squared cable and lugs. 48VDC Application. 24kW battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con_Duck_Tor

Occupation
Engineer
I am having an OCD moment with visual design on one of my circuits.

3 Pole ABB OS Switch Fuse Disconnector. 125A a pole.

I either bolt all 3 connection lugs on the bottom of the fuse switch disconnector straight across the positive busbar and feed out the top with cable to each invertor.
or
Run 50mm cable from the busbar to each lug on the Switch fuse disconnector and the same out the top. (This will look nicer but bother me about the run between the busbar and the fuse which will be satisfied by Adiabatic calcs for 50mm and 12kA for 0.2secs) but still always bothers me as I like to bolt the fuse bases to the busbars. The busbar will be protected by a 500A fuse.

I just want it to look nice and don't really want a busbar hanging off my switch fuse disconnector.

Opinions please.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Just to ask an annoying question, there's no such thing as a 24kW battery. Batteries can have energy ratings at standard loads (typically 1/20th the amp-hour capacity as the average current), but 24kW is power, not energy. What are the actual specifications for the batteries?

The other question, and you seem to be answering the correct questions with the 500A fuse, is the maximum short circuit current.

Con_Duck_Tor

Occupation
Engineer
Here is your annoying answer, 16 x 12V nominal 130A monoblocks if you want to be anal. I don't believe I mentioned the word energy.

tallgirl

Occupation
Here is your annoying answer, 16 x 12V nominal 130A monoblocks if you want to be anal. I don't believe I mentioned the word energy.
You mentioned power and batteries aren't sized by power, they are sized by energy - nominal voltage times current at a specified discharge rate. The current at the specified rate gives the amp-hour capacity. The voltage curve over that discharge period at the constant current gives energy.

None of that gives power, which is what 24kW is.

Con_Duck_Tor

Occupation
Engineer
Shame, my original quesiton was a matter of creative opinion, "bus bar or 50mm tails". I've watched a lot of Mike's videos over the years and I really like his content. It seems however his forums is not a reflection of himself. I don't have time to be lectured on basics that I learnt 40 years ago in college. I will be signing out now and sharing my experience elsewhere.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Shame, my original quesiton was a matter of creative opinion, "bus bar or 50mm tails". I've watched a lot of Mike's videos over the years and I really like his content. It seems however his forums is not a reflection of himself. I don't have time to be lectured on basics that I learnt 40 years ago in college. I will be signing out now and sharing my experience elsewhere.
Seems to be just a matter of misinterpretation. You are free to do as you choose but I don't think the replies were a slight on you.

tallgirl

Occupation
I was trying to find out if the 24kW was the maximum inverter input, or if it was a 24kWh battery bank.

The OP kept failing to include "hours" in various units, which became obvious when he described the batteries as 12 volt 130 amp monoblocks. He didn't pick up on my explanation about the difference between power and energy and that was that.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The OP is not from the US. I think what he wants to do is maybe not what we would typically do here. Plus I think the way he phrased it is a little off for how we normally talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.