Buried LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsparky52

No, but I spoke with the electrical inspector and he (rightly or wrongly) said a disconnect is required for the above situation. I think he is wrong, but I'm not fighting this battle.
I understand not wanting to fight the battle, but I think the inspector does owe you a code reference or local amendment reference to back up that position.

230.70 requires a service disconnect to disconnect all conductors in a building from the service-entrance conductors.
230.70 (A)(1) allows for the service disconnect to be located inside the building nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

I might not fight this, but I sure would discuss it with the AHJ to get "clarification" on how they came to this position

No, but I spoke with the electrical inspector and he (rightly or wrongly) said a disconnect is required for the above situation. I think he is wrong, but I'm not fighting this battle.
Please fight it. Think about the next guy who has already installed everything and has to change it because he trusts the inspector. It's better for everyone to correct the inspector.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It's funny how this thread went from a question about burying an LB to Service Disconnect requirement suggestions to a poster that didn't even start the thread. :)

JAP>

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's funny how this thread went from a question about burying an LB to Service Disconnect requirement suggestions to a poster that didn't even start the thread. :)
If we didn't do that, the thread would just have faded into the sunset. We can't have that. :giggle:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If we didn't do that, the thread would just have faded into the sunset. We can't have that. :giggle:

Sundown you'd better take care if I find you've been creepin round my backstairs,,,, sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin better when I'm feelin no pain ,,,, :)

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
who got that exception approved ... that must be a 1 in a 1000 type situation. cant imagine what though ... great find regardless.
Have connected below ground fuel pumps and other underground tank accessories at gas stations. Connection boxes are below grade. There is an access cover in the pavement, but under that they fill it with gravel, gives the cover a little more support if a heavy enough vehicle drives over it. If you ever need in that box you take the access cover off then scoop gravel out until you have access to the enclosure.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
This LB is for service conductors after a meter base and it then enters the structure and terminates just inside the basement wall.

Any guidance is appreciated so it can either be buried or installation done differently.

Thanks View attachment 2553057

and terminates just inside the basement wall.

In the back of the top of the electrical panel enclosure.

Raise the LB so it will be above the new grade. Install a new LB on the inside of the basement wall and top feed the electrical panel.

As for the new grade elevation, no closer than 8" below the bottom edge of the siding is the norm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.