Buried LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
As far as an option to do it differently, at this point, you could always take the meter off the house and mount it on a rack away from the basement wall.

It doesn't need to be on the house anyway.

With it moved away from the house you could 90 up into the meter and 90'd out of a meter/main straight back through the existing hole.

That service wouldn't fly in my area anyway.
We're only allowed 3' after the meter before we hit the 1st OCPD.

The Service conductors are beyond what's allowed in our area.

JAP>

3' wow, in N.Y. We can wrap the house in it, after penetrating we are then limited to distance, body having jurisdiction/power co. approval if more is needed.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
As far as an option to do it differently, at this point, you could always take the meter off the house and mount it on a rack away from the basement wall.

It doesn't need to be on the house anyway.

With it moved away from the house you could 90 up into the meter and 90'd out of a meter/main straight back through the existing hole.

JAP>
does the 3 feet start after you penetrate the exterior wall?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

JAP>
Why only 3'? The NEC allows the SEC's to be of unlimited length when outside of the building.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The NEC allows the SEC's to be of unlimited length when outside of the building.
Can you provide a code section? I was wanting to run 20 feet on the outside of a house from a meter to an LB that turns into the back of the interior panel. I was thinking I would need a fused disco next to the meter but would be happy to avoid it.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why only 3'? The NEC allows the SEC's to be of unlimited length when outside of the building.

It's a local thing not a code requirement.

It more or less puts the Meter and Service disconnect side by side or back to back.
Up until not long ago it was copper only beyond the load side of the meter base also.

JAP>

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can you provide a code section? I was wanting to run 20 feet on the outside of a house from a meter to an LB that turns into the back of the interior panel. I was thinking I would need a fused disco next to the meter but would be happy to avoid it.
That's perfectly compliant without an exterior disco, as long as you have no local codes to the contrary.

Your M/B panel would more than qualify as "nearest the point of entry."

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
What might be the difference between the LB and the "box" that would cause one to be allowed and the other not? Any idea?
It would make sense to me at least that anything with a cover needs to be accessible. I would never bury below grade an LB or underground pull box.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Listed boxes and handhole enclosures shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or noncohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessible for excavation
who got that exception approved ... that must be a 1 in a 1000 type situation. cant imagine what though ... great find regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.