Buried LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Don't take it personally. Pretty much I'm not going to trust someone with an anonymous persona on the internet who makes a claim about a seemingly odd nonsensical rule with questionable wording and won't say where it is. What is that the KGB used to say: "trust but verify." šŸ˜‚

I didn't intend to "belittle" you but sorry you felt that way.

Haven't had the best luck trusting people honestly, I really can't recommend it.

Keep in mind I've been a member of this forum for 13 years.

I'm hardly a stranger here.

Jap>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Enough of the bickering please... A member wants his privacy then let it be. That is understandable. FWIW there are many places that have rules like 3' , 8', 10'. NC has some weird method but no one uses it

The language of section 230.70(A)(1) has been virtually unchanged over the last several decades. What is commonly known as the ā€œBarringer Ruleā€ or ā€œFive Foot Ruleā€ has been the standard for evaluation of service-entrance conductors inside a building or structure in North Carolina for many decades. The Rule remains as the Stateā€™s position for proper evaluation in determining the maximum allowed distance service-entrance conductors may enter a building or structure.

The current version of the ā€œBarringer Ruleā€ or ā€œFive Foot Ruleā€ is as follows: Service-entrance conductors shall be considered to be in compliance with the requirements of 230.70(A)(1) when routed from their point of entrance into a building or structure to the point of attachment to the service disconnect enclosure under all of the following criteria:

1. in the most direct route or at right angles;

2. horizontally not more than twice the nominal width of the service disconnect enclosure; and

3. vertically not more than twice the nominal height of the service disconnect enclosure or five (5) feet, whichever is greater. Service entrance conductors in excess of these specified limits will not be allowed unless specifically authorized by special permission from the electrical inspector having jurisdiction to accommodate adverse site conditions which would not reasonably allow installation within this criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.