Bulkhead Stairway

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkett519

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hey everyone not sure if it has been discussed, if so my apologies. I was asked to do a job for a framer friend of mine. He is framing around bulkhead entry door on the outside and adding a regular swing door l..like an entry way. I've read 210.70 I understand but nothing is mentioned on bulk heads but I'm sure the same rule would apply being there are stairs. I will need a light in the bulkhead stairwell if 6 or more riser 2 3 ways one at top one at bottom and I will also need an egress light outside am I correct? Can the light outside the door be motion activated?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
First I'm assuming this is a basement access? And for that I've never seen a light in a bulkhead entry.
Will this entry be part of a normal public entry into space? Usually not a bulkhead. Is this the sole entry into the space? Or like most just an exterior supplemental access into a basement. Is it an emergency egress? If so lighting might be appropriate. If none of these apply I would say no lighting would be required. At most I would like to see, if it is a secondary access, is a 3way switch with the primary entry lighting switch for the interior space. Again never seen it required.
Guess nothing says you can't add lighting, but where would you putting the upper switch? You could put a pressure contact switch that when the door opens the light comes on, just not sure it comes as a 3way. If exterior exposed, a weather resistant enclosure and switch would be required. And a fixture in the bulkhead area internally, I think it would require protection from incidental contact damage.
Never had an inspector require a light in a bulkhead entry. At most I've seen in commercial applications (sometimes it is a loading zone) is as part of their exterior area lighting, a fixture directly above the bulkhead at same elevation as the rest, that comes on with the rest of the exterior lighting. And a switch for interior lighting just inside lower door.

barkett519

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for your response Fred ive wired many houses but never with a bulkhead. I understand what you are saying. They are framing an entry around it with an entry door. I would still think the inspector would require an egress light on the outside seeing it is framed with a box around it?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for your response Fred ive wired many houses but never with a bulkhead. I understand what you are saying. They are framing an entry around it with an entry door. I would still think the inspector would require an egress light on the outside seeing it is framed with a box around it?
Are they getting rid of the bulkhead? And building up in the space with a roof? If that is the case then "natural lighting" would no longer be the excuse for not lighting, under such circumstances lighting would most likely be required as it could be argued that the space becomes part of the interior.

barkett519

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Fred you got it exactly what im saying. Im thinking motion light outside door thats what customer wants. 2 3 way top and bottom of stairs to light over stairs then single pole at bottom next to 3 way controlling a screw shell walking in to basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.