Building to be Flood Proofed 18" above Base Flood Elevation - What to do per NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious101

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you had experience with designing projects in areas where the building needs to be flood proofed 18" above base flood elevation. My project is not a big one; it's a gas station with convenience store, but we bumped into this flood proofed definition.
The meter and disconnect are supposed to be on the exterior building wall. The panels (no transformers) are supposed to be in enclosed closet attached to the exterior building wall.
Do all the conductors have to be wet listed? Does all the equipment need to be NEMA 3R? How about raceways, junction boxes, receptacles, lighting?

Any input would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, and have a great day and happy Thanksgiving!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you had experience with designing projects in areas where the building needs to be flood proofed 18" above base flood elevation. My project is not a big one; it's a gas station with convenience store, but we bumped into this flood proofed definition.
The meter and disconnect are supposed to be on the exterior building wall. The panels (no transformers) are supposed to be in enclosed closet attached to the exterior building wall.
Do all the conductors have to be wet listed? Does all the equipment need to be NEMA 3R? How about raceways, junction boxes, receptacles, lighting?

Any input would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, and have a great day and happy Thanksgiving!
Usually flood-proofing means not leaving anything critical in the zone. If the base flood elevation is 4 feet below the gas station elevation, you don't have to do a thing. If it was even with the floor, you'd need to put the transformers up 18", etc. This doesn't mean, by the way, that the installation will survive any flood, just one that is the same as the flood elevation, plus a few inches.

curious101

Usually flood-proofing means not leaving anything critical in the zone. If the base flood elevation is 4 feet below the gas station elevation, you don't have to do a thing. If it was even with the floor, you'd need to put the transformers up 18", etc. This doesn't mean, by the way, that the installation will survive any flood, just one that is the same as the flood elevation, plus a few inches.
Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.