Building Automation protocol diagnostics

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlundsrud

I'm just going to put this out there in case anyone has any questions on bacnet or modbus. If you want to know about different software or troubleshooting techniques feel free to ask. I am actually surprised that I don't really see any questions on these topics.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
I'm just going to put this out there in case anyone has any questions on bacnet or modbus. If you want to know about different software or troubleshooting techniques feel free to ask. I am actually surprised that I don't really see any questions on these topics.

Since you seem to give the impression of being the answer-man regarding Building Automation Systems (BAS), perhaps you can generate some interest to benefit your fellow electricians.

The protocols BacNet and Modbus are the two most publicized because they are mostly applied to industries like HVAC, Electrical Systems and Power Distribution.

The other protocol that you missed (intentionally?) and easiest to learn is LonWorks. It doesn't need a bachelor's degree in electrical or industrial engineering to be certified.

It can use Microsoft Windows for interface. Electricians can apply for certification but it needs thorough knowledge of PLC and networking. Binary background is a must.

At this juncture--I can't think of a question to ask you because you did not specify your line of expertise in terms of protocols.

I am a certified Microsoft Network Engineer. (MSCE)

(Sailing enroute to the 'birthplace' of VFD/PWM . . .Finland)

Last edited:

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Since you seem to give the impression of being the answer-man regarding Building Automation Systems (BAS), perhaps you can generate some interest to benefit your fellow electricians.

The protocols BacNet and Modbus are the two most publicized because they are mostly applied to industries like HVAC, Electrical Systems and Power Distribution.

The other protocol that you missed (intentionally?) and easiest to learn is LonWorks. It doesn't need a bachelor's degree in electrical or industrial engineering to be certified.

It can use Microsoft Windows for interface. Electricians can apply for certification but it needs thorough knowledge of PLC and networking. Binary background is a must.

At this juncture--I can't think of a question to ask you because you did not specify your line of expertise in terms of protocols.

I am a certified Microsoft Network Engineer. (MSCE)

(Sailing enroute to the 'birthplace' of VFD/PWM . . .Finland)

MSCE should read: MCSE

rlundsrud

In building automation bacnet and modbus are the two that are used almost exclusively (not counting proprietary protocols like Andover). I've only come across a couple of sites that have any lon equipment and that's always run through a converter so it can sit on the bacnet or modbus system.

Another protocol you didn't mention is CAN BUS. This one's also not used in building automation but it does pop up in automotive use and a few other places. My knowledge in these two protocols is fairly limited as it just isn't used very often in BAS.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
In building automation bacnet and modbus are the two that are used almost exclusively (not counting proprietary protocols like Andover). I've only come across a couple of sites that have any lon equipment and that's always run through a converter so it can sit on the bacnet or modbus system.

Another protocol you didn't mention is CAN BUS. This one's also not used in building automation but it does pop up in automotive use and a few other places. My knowledge in these two protocols is fairly limited as it just isn't used very often in BAS.

CANbus can hardly be considered a subgenre of MODbus and BACnet.
This Controller Area Network is a standalone network that doesn't go beyond the controlled area unlike BACnet and MODbus that is computer based.
It doesn't need a computer.
The reason its not included in my post.

It is basically the brain of modern cars.
Because it uses a proprietary network bandwith it is immune to interference which givesi it robust and trouble-free performance.
Invented by Robert Bosch of Germany.. . .it is now a standard equipment for modern vehicles.

Now that you have touched something very important. . .you can watch the droves of googlers trying to educate themselves.:cool:

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Do you have website for it?

Google is the best resource. If you're interested in the history of CANBUS, just type Robert Bosch.
For the application of this 'protocol' . . . searching for different topology in networking would give you more info than I can type here.

BTW: You are also interested in travelling.
You will probably notice that I'm typing this while most in the US are sleeping. . . That's because I'm in Copenhagen for two days and then on to Amsterdam for three days.

My house sitter has been tracking me and eager for me to come home. He is my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.