BRK smoke/CO detectors, false trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbeyond

Has anyone ever experienced one or more of the following after having installed a 120v BRK smoke system, new construction residential application. Mind that these issues arise after I have tested it and the FD has tested it. Start to receive phone calls from the homeowners 3 - 6 months after they have moved in. Also, not every system experiences these problems. Maybe 1-3 houses a year for about 4 years now.

1. Smokes going into alarm randomly. I have spoken to people where it usually takes place only at night, after 8pm not every night. I have also in some situations been able to narrow down the problem detector, replace it and fix the issue. It has been either the photoelectric or combo photo/CO, never the heat.

2. Hearing "end of life" chirps (5 chirps every minute according to the manual). Or "malfunction" chirps (3 chirps every minute) randomly. Once again usually after 8pm and not every night also not signaling every minute as it should according to the manual if in fact the device has expired.

3. BRK smoke right out of the box malfunctioning. I got two today, one did not make a battery connection when closing the compartment. The second gave me malfunction chirps upon the first press of the test button.

My smokes are on a 15amp arc fault circuit CHBR breaker. I wire lighting into the smoke circuit never any outlets. (I use to experience vacuum cleaners setting them off upon powering up the vacuum) I usually HR the smoke in the basement to the panel and feed nearby light switches off of the smokes. (for instance usually my bedroom light feeds comes right out of the smoke in the bedrooms)

Also, my supply house told me that just in the past 30 days BRK has replaced a "chip" in their photo/CO combo. He did not know why they replaced the chip or what prompted them to do it. The two smokes I got today had the new "chip".

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have not had any problems from BRK. I heard that the redesigned them now so that there is the end of life chirp. I also heard that you cannot turn it off. They did this so they can sell more by making the life span of the units 5 years- that's when the units are designed to start the death rattle-- so I'm told

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have not had any problems from BRK. I heard that the redesigned them now so that there is the end of life chirp. I also heard that you cannot turn it off. They did this so they can sell more by making the life span of the units 5 years- that's when the units are designed to start the death rattle-- so I'm told
Interesting.
Either a reaction to liability issues that have come up or strictly as sales tool, or maybe some of each.
It is not quite the same as a CO detector where the active element has a fixed and relatively predictable working life span. AFAIK all current CO detectors (and therefore combined CO and smoke detectors) incorporate a fixed, not resettable, end of life.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Interesting.
Either a reaction to liability issues that have come up or strictly as sales tool, or maybe some of each.
It is not quite the same as a CO detector where the active element has a fixed and relatively predictable working life span. AFAIK all current CO detectors (and therefore combined CO and smoke detectors) incorporate a fixed, not resettable, end of life.

I think this issue is for the carbon detectors or carbon/smoke. I am not sure it applies to smoke detectors

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think this issue is for the carbon detectors or carbon/smoke. I am not sure it applies to smoke detectors
I think that is exactly what I said. :)
Except that I am not familiar with carbon detectors. And CO2 detectors are not very common except for enclosed tanks and spaces, etc. that have to be entered for maintenance. Those are usually brought in by the worker as needed.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In the past I have had these customer complaints with BRK. Not recently, About 3 years ago. Replaced all the batteries and good to go.

I have had First alert be bad right out of the box.

I don't know which is better.

kwired

Electron manager
As for the random alarms a few months after installation, try vacuuming around the openings of the unit, all it takes it a little dust or a small insect in the sensing chamber and it will go into alarm. If you look at the instructions I'm pretty sure they even mention to vacuum periodically. Have had random alarms in my own house and cleaning the units has always fixed it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What I was told, do not know if it is fact, was that the units will have to replaced in 5 years. They said there was a timer that starts as soon as you install the unit to power or energize the unit with the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.