Bringing old control panels 'up to code'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleman

I have been tasked with bringing several old control panels up to code. None of these will be listed. All will have arc flash studies and most of them already have.
Per art 409 NEC I know I need to establish SCCR for all panels and label with the value.

Wire colors are not per UL508A but it would be a lot of work to rewire, especially since these will all be replaced within 2 years. I am not convinced that I need to rewire
any of this as long as grounds are green. The DC colors vary, black, white, red. Most of the line voltage is black or colored per ac voltage BOY etc.

What I plan to do is make sure everything has proper circuit protection as per NEC guidelines, and get the SCCR's. In your opinions do I need to rewire with UL508A colors
to satisfy basic code requirements?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have been tasked with bringing several old control panels up to code. None of these will be listed. All will have arc flash studies and most of them already have.
Per art 409 NEC I know I need to establish SCCR for all panels and label with the value.

Wire colors are not per UL508A but it would be a lot of work to rewire, especially since these will all be replaced within 2 years. I am not convinced that I need to rewire
any of this as long as grounds are green. The DC colors vary, black, white, red. Most of the line voltage is black or colored per ac voltage BOY etc.

What I plan to do is make sure everything has proper circuit protection as per NEC guidelines, and get the SCCR's. In your opinions do I need to rewire with UL508A colors
to satisfy basic code requirements?

IMO, no, which means absolutely nothing.

We work with equipment that had no planning when it was built, has had none since then, and gets only enough work to keep it online. One particular company says they are pro safety, but a CB on an old combination starter still needs to be reset with a screwdriver tap in just the right spot. 480v. Color is low on my list.

JFletcher

I recently reworked some wiring in a residential panel; 5 of the neutrals were extended with red #14 THHN; all were 15A circuits. I yanked them and put in white, but it was 10 minutes of work and maybe $2 in materials, a far cry from the scenario you describe.

Aleman

These panels are a real piece of work. Here's an example of what the previous contractors were building. A control panel fed by 100amps 480V.
Disconnect into distribution block. Then wiring straight to motor drives as low as 2hp. No other protection. We have had 2 drives explode in this
panel in the past. I have most of these on breakers now but space is very tight. The guy didn't believe in code, circuit protection, and definitely
no local disconnects. My goal here is to make these panels electrically safe and reasonably up to code without doing a complete rebuild.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Sounds like you might cherry pick the easy stuff and avoid any major rework. I'd do that too if I knew it was going away in a couple years. Actually, I probably wouldn't do anything at all if I knew it was one foot out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.