Breaker Listing and Classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsinclair

I need some insight from the masses on this topic. The subject of using breakers that "fit" a panel versus the correct breaker for the panel has been a hot topic for me in recent weeks. I have taken the stance that the only breakers I want to see in a given AC panel are listed for use in the panel. (I.E. - on the front cover most of the time.) I have read the definition of Listed and Classified numerous times and drew the following conclusion. Each panel will list the breakers allowed for use in the panel. Only breakers listed can be used. However, a breaker can be classified for use in a panel and not listed for use in the panel. The manufacturer of the classified breaker will provide the listing of panels that the breaker can be used in. Am I on the right track??? What I have been trying to prevent is the use of GE breakers in Siemens or Square D panels for an example. I gave all our GC's the option to provide the documentation to show that a given classified breaker can be used in a given listed panel. So far everyone has challenged me on this position, but has not been able to provide the documention. Does anyone have any opinions here? :confused:

templdl

Re: Breaker Listing and Classification

Personally I don't think the requesting documentation is unreasonable. It's not the inspectors job to do research to varify the application. I know of a similar issue with Challenger, Westinghouse, Bryant, Cutler-Hammer products when these products were superseded in the recent past. These products may be identical having been manufactured in the same plant but Cutler-Hammer has documentation in the form of a letter from UL that addresses the approval of the product supersedure which is available to contractors.
Similar documentation should be available through the distributor illustrating that the subject breaker is classified by UL for use is a specific panel if the label in the product lacks this specific information. How else are you going to varify that the devices are properly applied by the contractor?
As a former application engineer I always have recommended to the distributor that they should have this ducumentation redily available for the contractor to keep on file, that the contractor include said documentation with the panel when they install it.
It makes things much easier for those inspecting the panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

UL requires that classified breakers be supplied with a list of panels that they can be used in. There should be no problem getting the information. Note that if the available fault current is greater than 10,000 amps you cannot use a classified breaker. See the UL guide information for classified breakers.
Don

[ March 08, 2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

ronson

all of you are expanding my awareness with listed versus classified breakers. i'm not sure i heard from any of you regarding my posting regarding GE THQP (slimline?) breakers. would you please checkout that posting & let me know what you think? all of you sound knowledgeable enough to have an opinion or experience that could enlighten my knowledge regarding these breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.