branch circuit to an adjacent building

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveW1001

Occupation
Engineer
I have two adjacent commercial buildings with a shared wall. We'll call them buildings "A" and "B". Each building has it's own metered service and panel. The mechanical wants to put Air Handlers for both building in the attic space of Building "B".

Can I feed Air Handler "A", from panel "A" even if it is located in building "B"

d0nut

Unless there is a common landlord to take care of the maintenance, I wouldn't want my air handler in someone else's building. How would I have access to maintain my air handler if the other building owner didn't want to let me into their space? Would I have to coordinate the working hours to maintain the air handler with them? Do I have to ask permission to change a filter? What if my air handler craps out on a Monday and they say I can't have workers in their space until the weekend? What happens when they claim that my workers damaged something in their space?

It seems like having the air handlers in the same building could cause some issues.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have two adjacent commercial buildings with a shared wall. We'll call them buildings "A" and "B". Each building has it's own metered service and panel. The mechanical wants to put Air Handlers for both building in the attic space of Building "B".

Can I feed Air Handler "A", from panel "A" even if it is located in building "B"
I want to say no, but I’m not sure about the code reference.
Your pulling a branch circuit from building A to building B and both buildings have separate meters and panels?
that could be a firefighters (or HVAC tech) nightmare.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure this is addressed in the NEC however there may be a building code problem. It would definitely need to be accessible to both tenants but I don't see how this would be compliant, imo.

DaveW1001

Occupation
Engineer
To clarify, this is a convenience store and a fast food restaurant. The facility is owned by someone leasing to two separate tenants.

I agree with what everyone has said, and don't like the situation. I am looking for code rules to disallow what the Architect and Mechanical designer are asking

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Obviously there would be disconnects per code at each equipment.
This seems like a legal issue for building B to allow equipment from building A, would require a written agreement
And then would would require coordination from both building owners to service either

Status
Not open for further replies.