Branch circuit extension for a new receptacle on an ungrounded branch circuit /no EGC

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Is there a code in current 2023 NEC that requires NEW receptacles added or EXTENDING from ungrounded branch circuit receptacle(s) to be required to be a grounded type receptacle along with a GEC connected to the new receptacle and box and the box it is fed from while bonded to the grounding electrode system (assuming there is a grounding electrode system)?

I am aware that a GFCI can replace an ungrounded receptacle to feed another ground type receptacle but not have a EGC between them. (And labels)

I read in an older 2017 bonding and grounding book that said that if a new receptacle is added to extend from existing ungrounded branch circuit receptacles, then an exception could be used to allow a single insulated conductor without conduit or jacket to be ran all the way to the source panel EGC buss and terminated here.

I cannot find this in 2023 NEC code rules. If this still applies, can this single unprotected wire be ran all the way such as in an attic to be terminated to a sub panel ground buss instead of the service buss?

I cannot find this is 2023 NEC. I have purchased the 2023 NEC handbook and under 250.130 C it just says the equipment grounding type receptacle extension must be connected to 1 - 8

1) any accessible point on the grounding electrode system described in 250.50

6) for ungrounded systems the grounding terminal bar within the service equipment enclosure

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Covered by 250.130(C)
mroe specifically (C)(3)
Yes but the code doesn’t say that a single conductor can be ran from the new grounded receptacle to the grounding electrode system. Otherwise a whole NM cable would have to be ran instead of the possible former exemption to allow a single EGC wire to be ran all the way

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 8

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The wording in the 2023 is identical to the 2017.
Neither specifies the type conductor nor requires cable.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
The wording in the 2023 is identical to the 2017.
Neither specifies the type conductor nor requires cable.
So can you get away with running a single insulated green wire from the extended receptacle to the panel EGC buss? Or how else would you do this? It would be a big waste to run an entire new nm 3 conductor jacketed cable just for 1 ground wire and one of my grounding and bonding books says to you can do this but I can’t find this worded exactly this way in NEC?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Don't forget 210.12(E)

210.12(E) Branch Circuit Wiring Extensions, Modifications, or Replacements.
If branch-circuit wiring for any of the areas specified in 210.12(B), (C), or (D) is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
(1) By any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (A)(6)
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Yes you can run an equipment grounding conductor and connect it to the panel or connect to the grounding electrode system
I’m not sure if this is done often in the trade and for that reason may throw off an inspector to fail such an installation? Like I said my grounding and bonding book says a single green wire to serve as an EGC can be ran all the way to the supply EGC buss without conduit or a protective jacket but it just bothers me that I can’t find this exemption in NEC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I’m not sure if this is done often in the trade and for that reason may throw off an inspector to fail such an installation? Like I said my grounding and bonding book says a single green wire to serve as an EGC can be ran all the way to the supply EGC buss without conduit or a protective jacket but it just bothers me that I can’t find this exemption in NEC

Try 250.130(c)

(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions.

The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following:
  • (1)
    Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50
  • (2)
    Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor
  • (3)
    The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates
  • (4)
    An equipment grounding conductor that is part of another branch circuit that originates from the enclosure where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates
  • (5)
    For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor within the service equipment enclosure
  • (6)
    For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar within the service equipment enclosure

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Here is a clue that you can run the EGC separately in 250.120(C) and how you do it:
Equipment Grounding Conductors Smaller Than 6 AWG. Where not routed with circuit conductors as permitted in 250.130(C) and 250.134(B) Exception No. 2, equipment grounding conductors smaller than 6 AWG shall be protected from physical damage by an identified raceway or cable armor unless installed within hollow spaces of the framing members of buildings or structures and where not subject to physical damage.