"Braided Thermal Wiring Sleeve" is what I call it - but what are NEC Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdds

"Braided Thermal Wiring Sleeve" is what I call it - but what are NEC Requirements?

So, I'm working in a small 300W flood light fixture and I need to butt-splice and extension to the wires coming off the lamp holder. I've got the wire, the connectors, and a SUPER duty crimper, but the 6" long braided thermal sleeve installed by OEM isn't even CLOSE to the 1/4" ID I'm gonna need to cover the connector. (Wire insulation is ~0.068" OD and "Braided Insulation Sleeve" is ~0.094" ID.) [See Photo, attached.] But, "WHATZIT" CALLED? What do you CALL this "Braided Thermal Wiring Sleeve" when I call [XYZ Electrical Distributor] to get something big enough to work for my installation. I need ~8 linear feet for the job.

Attachments

• Fixture_Wire_Thermal_Jacket.jpg
    Fixture_Wire_Thermal_Jacket.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would call that heat resistant wire loom:

686_primary.jpg

http://www.delcity.net/store/Fiberglass,-Heat-Resistant-Wire-Loom/p_806821.h_806823.t_1

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So, I'm working in a small 300W flood light fixture and I need to butt-splice and extension to the wires coming off the lamp holder. I've got the wire, the connectors, and a SUPER duty crimper, but the 6" long braided thermal sleeve installed by OEM isn't even CLOSE to the 1/4" ID I'm gonna need to cover the connector. (Wire insulation is ~0.068" OD and "Braided Insulation Sleeve" is ~0.094" ID.) [See Photo, attached.] But, "WHATZIT" CALLED? What do you CALL this "Braided Thermal Wiring Sleeve" when I call [XYZ Electrical Distributor] to get something big enough to work for my installation. I need ~8 linear feet for the job.

If you need the sleeve to protect the wire insulation from heat, how is the connector going to be suitable? I doubt they are rated above 75C, and if the ambient temperature inside the fixture is that high, how can you use the butt splice connector there?

donaldelectrician

Check out wire . Extreme high temp .

Don

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.