Box Recommendation for Furred Out Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
It is also not a code requirement that we make you happy
I el oh el'd at that one. :ROFLMAO:

Anywho....this is all new construction where I'm the home owner as well as the installer. All wiring will be done to code (to the best of my knowledge and abilities) but I'm still not spending another grand on ACFIs. I've used SQ D Homeline on almost everything I've ever done in our current house and barns etc. I've never had one ounce of trouble from a failed breaker or any issues with them. That's probably the route I'll go just because I'm a creature of habit.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
But at the same time, neither do all electricians. We're all limited by the HO's budget. Good luck with a panel bid that the customer is already hesitant on, and then coming back to them with the idea of a full re-wire, even if it's the right thing to do. If they don't want to pay, it's not happening.
Yes, electricians that can fix a simple carbonized device from tripping an AFCI wont, if contractors can up-sell compete-remodel wiring.

Why admit a simple fix for peanuts, if complete-remodel wiring can be sold to blissful ignoramuses who believe its necessary ?

But what I've learned is, you have to have some kind of document that the HO signs to acknowledge that you've informed them of a violation and they just didn't want to address it.
No, even without Knob & Tube or old Aluminum branch wiring, construction shops posing as service technicians can force complete remodel wiring by leveraging municipal-inspections. The Red Tag requires the change order for complete-remodel wiring, if simple fix is not disclosed.

No Funds, No Matter. That's what second mortgages and credit card are for.

Unless they want open permits breaking title insurance and property re-sale, they will pay up!

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Yes, electricians that can fix a simple carbonized device from tripping an AFCI wont, if contractors can up-sell compete-remodel wiring.

Why admit a simple fix for peanuts, if complete-remodel wiring can be sold to blissful ignoramuses who believe its necessary ?

No, even without Knob & Tube or old Aluminum branch wiring, construction shops posing as service technicians can force complete remodel wiring by leveraging municipal-inspections. The Red Tag requires the change order for complete-remodel wiring, if simple fix is not disclosed.

No Funds, No Matter. That's what second mortgages and credit card are for.

Unless they want open permits breaking title insurance and property re-sale, they will pay up!

I think we're on very different pages here bud.

You criticized flippers for not doing all that is necessary, or at least, that's how I read it... and I'm 100% with you on that perspective.
I was just adding to that, that sometimes neither do all electricians... but that one legitimate reason is cost. There seems to be an idea that we can just do whatever we want and the customer will pay and that hasn't been my experience at all, which is why I added that having some sort of legal form to document that you've identified an issue, but that the customer doesn't want to address it / pay for it, is a good idea, IMO.

I don't have the energy to start that kind of battle with a HO. I did my job by pointing it out.
If they don't wanna pay for it, it's on them as far as I'm concerned... but you best document that you did your part and pointed it out.

We're not the police. It's not my job to call the village and report a violation and get the HO in trouble. Best I figure is, point it out, have a conversation about it, and you've done your job. But document, document, document.

And often times, complete rewires are a good approach. Better to come in high and finish lower, than have to argue for more at the end.
But yes, I agree that we live in a "throw out, buy new" society/culture and that that's problematic. Right to repair is a movement/idea I support, but if it's going to end up being more costly, sometimes you gotta go with throw out and buy new.

Last edited:

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
@ramsy I guess when you're in with an organization or company that has an infinite amount of work available to you, you can take the approach of acting like police officers and get HO's in trouble... but the rest of us have to worry about how that relationship turns out.

As much as I respect the idea of going to hell and back to make sure even work that is not your direct responsibility is corrected, it's not realistic.
The reality is, most HO's fear the permit process for this exact reason. You want to scare a customer off you just need to say the P-word, lol...

...none of which is to say that I don't pull them when necessary. I've endured many a headache and job losses advocating for the permit process like the idealistic fool that I am. That number is probably close to triple digits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.