Box Recommendation for Furred Out Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
We are in the final stages of designing our new house and we are pouring a safe room/office which will be 8" concrete walls and ceilings. The walls and ceilings will be furred out with 2x4's on their sides such that distance from back of sheetrock to concrete will be 1.5" So, finished sheet rock surface to concrete will be 2".

Is there a particular outlet box that ya'll perfer over others for this application? I'm assuming it would be a type of shallow 4 square with a mud ring to allow for enough volume to enter and leave with separate 12/2 romexs to daisy chain around the wall. I've wired a lot of different things before, but never a furred out concrete wall.

Any advice would be great.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Roger that, Thanks. So would you just notch out the furring strips and secure the wire behind nail plates to go around the room or would BX/AC be better for this app?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Roger that, Thanks. So would you just notch out the furring strips and secure the wire behind nail plates to go around the room or would BX/AC be better for this app?
Both NM cable and AC cable would require the same protection through the notches so I'm not sure that there is really an advantage other than one less conductor in each of the AC cables to terminate.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
That it does. We have not had issue other than just the screw head . I can see where the 1/4" would help.
Here they frame with treated on concrete the wood is a little thicker then standard white wood. It usually has a square edge more so than white wood.
Good illustration.

cadpoint

Google > diagram electrical box dimensions, I use “diagram” a lot.
If you only use diagram electrical box, you'll get mostly panels.
I'd consider feeding the circuit from the floor, I'd seal it thoroughly if PVC.

I'd use the max depth you can obtain, even to the point of a slightly flush
to the finished wall. There's telescoping boxes, offset space boxes - 4.11/16” with
single or double gang device covers, in both steel and PVC. Maybe a little costly
but they have flat punched steel mud rings.

I don't see why they are not installing it to 3.1/2”, it a safe/office is it going not to get
air circulation? PC and a person create heat... granted it might not be bigger than a
utility room or large closet. If wood is a supply problem you could go to steel/galv hat
channels @ 1.1/2”. This only creates more work with a bay span bracket or 90^ box bracket.

Kansas has wood, nephew just drove a flat bed from – to Dallas Metro for some with a month delay!

I guess in your case PVC all around except the ceiling light(s), punched steel might whistle
if you get a storm! Don't forget to get a phone line in there if you still have one.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
We are in the final stages of designing our new house and we are pouring a safe room/office which will be 8" concrete walls and ceilings.
I just gotta say, that I LOVE that your "office" is also a "safe room" with 8" concrete walls, hahaha.
You got nuclear launch codes in there or something? 🤣

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I am curious about the safe room, for tornadoes, right? What kind of door? How long are you provisioned for staying?
Battery power?
Ours had a door that was steel and steel frame. The door open into the safe room so it would not get blocked from debris. It was in a down stairs closet it had recpts,light with battery back up, ventilation, refridge. Old cell phone for 911, em radio and tv. motorcycle helmets battery operated chain saw
When one is installed in it is registered with the city and it location in the house is pinned. This way you will be found or at least checked on. The fire dept or emergency service will hack there way in.
It made a great gun safe as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.