Box for the Low Voltage jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
why not. There are listed such devices.
The only caveat is if it is a fire rated wall or the designer specifies other for reasons as sound or draft.

JFletcher

I have seen plaster rings screwed directly to the stud on interior, non-rated (the wall between the bathroom and bedroom in a hotel for example) walls for thermostats... We never use open back boxes or LV-1 boxes in commercial though, most walls in hotels are rated for fire and sound, and since 95% of our devices or in those walls, or ceilings, you must use a full or closed back box in those cases

You would need to look at the listing/instructions of the plaster ring to see if screwing it to the stud is permissible by 110 3B. Also have a look at 300.21. the rest of it would be in your local building codes.

bubbarhd

Building code/Energy code often comes into play on exterior walls. Fire rated walls also make open rings not usable but otherwise ok to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are you guys calling these plaster rings?

boxes-brackets-sc100rr-64_1000.jpg

If so, they are not called plaster rings, they're called low voltage brackets. A plaster ring goes on a box.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Old work and new work. I use the "brackets" (actually Caddy MPLS) for cut-in work. For new work I use a plaster ring or the Caddy MP1S (shown in that other thread). Plaster rings are cheaper.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.