Bootleg grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyi

Re: Bootleg grounds

Originally posted by iwire:
Tony.

BX is not listed in 250.118 as a grounding means and 250.114(3) specifically says information technology equipment must have a grounding means.

Indeed. Not many homes wired with BX I've ever seen would qualify to have Article 645 applied to them though. A PC in the home isn't "information technology equipment" IMO, its just another piece of electronic junk people plug in.

Q: how many external modems and computer gadgets with external bricks come with a 3-prong that propagates a gnd to the device?

A: vanishingly close to ZERO. This crap is just ordinary home electronics, not an effing megabuck mainframe. Get real eh.

How does the homeowner know which 3 wire plug is a "reference ground" and which 3 wire outlet is a equipment ground or even know what the difference would be.

They won't care, or need to know. ALL installed 3-prongs would have metallic connection back to the panel via backstrap and mounting screws even though you don't land a gnd wire in the boxes. If that BX is a good enough conductor to heat up like a fillament on a fault, its good enough for an electronic gizmo's reference gnd.

If the NEC even talked about a reference ground on a branch circuit.

Indeed. Perhaps because its not a SAFETY ISSUE. The NEC doesn't address a lot of things. That doesn't mean they aren't possible or won't work. The NEC doesn't have much to say about LAN's that modulate on the building power circuits either.

Your a trip Tony, a little voltage drop and you think the world is ending

Well, there happen to be NEC guidelines for Voltage drop. Feel free to ignore them as you see fit, I don't.

, you think the NEC is 20 to 30 years behind,

That some people routinely trip breakers on a code minimums installation while doing pretty ordinary stuff supports my opinion.

some paint on the face of an outlet and you say a violation that must be corrected,
That's what the book says. Take it up with the CMP's if you don't like it. I didn't make that passage up.

but no equipment ground at a 3 wire outlet is OK.

Again, that's what the book says. Again, take it up with the CMP's if you don't like it.

big john

If you simply replace an old non-grounded receptacle with a new one of the same type, and do not GFCI protect the circuit, you are encouraging one of two things:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The homeowner will improperly replace the receptacle with a grounding-type themselves and you will then have no EGC and no GFCI protection.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The homeowner will use a cheater on the plug any time they need to plug in a cord with a ground prong. Even if the cheater is properly mounted to the cover-plate (yeah, right :roll: ) there is still no EGC and no GFCI protection.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
If given the choice, I would GFCI protect the BX and install a grounding receptacle. At least this way if there is a fault the danger to the homeowner will be minimized.

Side Note: I am personally of the opinion that cheaters should be made illegal. They are never used properly, and even if they were how blue does the moon have to be before you'd find a properly grounded device box with an non-grounding receptacle in it??

-John

EDIT: My reason for installing a grounding-type, GFCI protected receptacle instead of simply GFCI protecting a non-grounding receptacle would be to remove the necessity for the cheater. I don't like 'em!

[ November 01, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: big john ]

iwire

Staff member

Tony I will have to get back to you later, but if you have access to a UL white book you may want to check out Information technology equipment.

It is surprising broad and by no means limited to article 645 type equipment. ;)

tonyi

Originally posted by big john:
The homeowner will improperly replace the receptacle with a grounding-type themselves and you will then have no EGC and no GFCI protection.
I've seen this enough times to know its not some idle "paranoid fringe" type concern.

The situation becomes genuinely dangerous. A faulting device probably won't trip the breaker (unless its a GF or AF with 50ma GF protection) and that BX armor is now hot electrically and temperature wise.

The GF protects people as well as the cabling system on this older BX.

tonyi

Tony I will have to get back to you later, but if you have access to a UL white book you may want to check out Information technology equipment.

It is surprising broad and by no means limited to article 645 type equipment. ;)
And irrelevant. NEC has nothing to say about how someone designs their cord/plug electronics internally. The NEC is not an electronics design manual for consumer gadgets.

UL doesn't care much about your internal design either. They care if its safe, will it blow up, melt down, start a fire, cause cancer in lab rats, etc. BX armor will do none of these even though its not suitable as an official NEC equip gnd.

Face it, a defacto connection exists even though it must be ignored for EG. An EG is for clearing faults. The NEC doesn't explicitly say an electronics designer can use the gnd prong as a reference gnd for their internal electronics, but many do.

What I want from you is a clear explanation why a GFCI protected BX system (w/good armor integrity) would cause a computer (that's not already defective) to malfunction or suddenly become dangerous if plugged into a 3-prong fitted to that BX system.

They don't normally put any current on a EG because they'd not work on any GFCI even one with a real EG.

Bottom line is that in reality its all going to work perfectly fine and the dude's computer isn't going to explode or fail to work.

If the computer faults and tries to send current down the 3-rd prong, the GFCI trips. The armor is a direct connection back to the panel, the box is a direct connection to the armor, and the backstrap is a direct connection to the box and the gnd prong (unless its an IG receptacle of course). You can't avoid this metallic connection path in the BX cabling system.

Do not confuse NEC equip gnd with some other random use someone might put that metallic path to. NEC doesn't care about electronics and how they interpret the voltage levels on the gnd prong of a 3-prong receptacle - that's a design issue, not a code issue.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tonyi:
Indeed. Not many homes wired with BX I've ever seen would qualify to have Article 645 applied to them though. A PC in the home isn't "information technology equipment" IMO, its just another piece of electronic junk people plug in.
Well unfortunately UL does not have the same opinion you do.

From 2003 UL White Book
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY EQUIPMENT INCLUDING ELECTRICAL BUSINESS EQUIPMENT (NWGQ)

GENERAL

This category covers equipment, appliances and systems rated 600 V or less normally found in offices and other business establishments, residences (homes), educational facilities, and other similar environments classified as ordinary locations.

Equipment in this category has been evaluated for installation in information technology equipment (computer) rooms as defined in ANSI/NFPA 75, ??Protection of Electronic Computer/Data Processing Equipment?? and Article 645 of ANSI/NFPA 70, ??National Electrical Code?? (NEC), unless the equipment is otherwise identified by a marking or instruction.

EQUIPMENT TYPE

Equipment may be electronic or electromechanical in design or a combination thereof. Various groupings of equipment are included for the manufacturers, such as:

Information processing equipment: automated information storage equipment, central processing units (CPUs), disk drives, fiber optic transceivers, hand-held computers (personal assistants), lap-top computers, monitors, personal computers, plotters, printers, point-of-sale terminals, scanners, including portable bar-code scanners, tape drives, workstations.

Telecommunication equipment: cellular site equipment, cordless telephone sets, facsimile machines, ISDN systems and telephones, modems, key telephone systems, private automated branch exchanges (PABXs), telephone answering machines, telephone sets, voice mail systems, wireless telephony systems.

Office appliances: adding machines, bursters, calculators, collators, dictation and transcribing machines, electric typewriters, erasers, folding, embossing and sealing machines, label printers, microfilm readers, motor operated file cabinets, paper cutters, paper shredders, pencil sharpeners, sorters, stackers, staplers.

Reproduction equipment: copiers, duplicating machines, microfilm printers, mimeograph machines.

Mailing, banking and currency handling equipment: cash registers, coin counters, -feeders, -dispensers, accounting machines, check-writing-, -assigning, -dating, -inserting, -mailing, -numbering and -stamping machines, point-of-sale terminals.

Multi-media equipment/accessories: CD-ROM/RW drives, digital cameras, microphones, speakers, video conferencing systems.

Network equipment: baluns, bridges, hubs, nodes, repeaters, routers, switches, transceivers.

PC card accessories: PCMCIA-memory, -modem cards.

Wireless (RF, infrared) transceiving equipment: RF modems, hand-held computers with integral transceivers.
They won't care, or need to know. ALL installed 3-prongs would have metallic connection back to the panel via backstrap and mounting screws even though you don't land a gnd wire in the boxes. If that BX is a good enough conductor to heat up like a fillament on a fault, its good enough for an electronic gizmo's reference gnd
Tony I am well aware of the grounding path back to the panel by way of the BX armor.

It is irrelevant, it is not an approved grounding means.

But I guess we should ignore that code as you do not agree with it..

Indeed. Perhaps because its not a SAFETY ISSUE
No a reference ground has nothing to do with safety in this case, but installing a 3 wire outlet on BX certainly may be.

Well, there happen to be NEC guidelines for Voltage drop. Feel free to ignore them as you see fit, I don't.
Did you ever see me say to ignore them on new circuits, but ripping up existing walls to "fix" working circuits is a little over the top considering that the NEC does not mandate voltage drop levels and UL requires equipment to work properly at higher levels of voltage drop than even the NECs recommendations are.

That some people routinely trip breakers on a code minimums installation while doing pretty ordinary stuff supports my opinion.
The NEC is just what you say the minimums and is not intended as a design manual, if you use it as one your customers will be disappointed.

90.1(B)Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance will result in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.
90.1(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.
Posted by Me
some paint on the face of an outlet and you say a violation that must be corrected,
Painted Over Equipment

That's what the book says. Take it up with the CMP's if you don't like it. I didn't make that passage up.
110.12(C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.
What part of that prevents a homeowner from painting the face of a receptacle and if you say yes, am I to take it you would not allow a panel cover to be painted also.

As you said to me "Get Real eh"

by Me
but no equipment ground at a 3 wire outlet is OK.
Again, that's what the book says. Again, take it up with the CMP's if you don't like it.
I clearly told Concorde that installing a 3 wire outlet where no EGC exists is code compliant.

But IMO is not a good way to go and I am very surprised that with your hard line stance you think it would be a good idea.

So in a nutshell you feel an FPN is more important to follow than 250.118

Call me confused. :D

[ November 01, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

iwire

Staff member

And irrelevant. NEC has nothing to say about how someone designs their cord/plug electronics internally. The NEC is not an electronics design manual for consumer gadgets.

UL doesn't care much about your internal design either. They care if its safe, will it blow up, melt down, start a fire, cause cancer in lab rats, etc. BX armor will do none of these even though its not suitable as an official NEC equip gnd.

Face it, a defacto connection exists even though it must be ignored for EG. An EG is for clearing faults. The NEC doesn't explicitly say an electronics designer can use the gnd prong as a reference gnd for their internal electronics, but many do.

What I want from you is a clear explanation why a GFCI protected BX system (w/good armor integrity) would cause a computer (that's not already defective) to malfunction or suddenly become dangerous if plugged into a 3-prong fitted to that BX system.

They don't normally put any current on a EG because they'd not work on any GFCI even one with a real EG.

Bottom line is that in reality its all going to work perfectly fine and the dude's computer isn't going to explode or fail to work.

If the computer faults and tries to send current down the 3-rd prong, the GFCI trips. The armor is a direct connection back to the panel, the box is a direct connection to the armor, and the backstrap is a direct connection to the box and the gnd prong (unless its an IG receptacle of course). You can't avoid this metallic connection path in the BX cabling system.

Do not confuse NEC equip gnd with some other random use someone might put that metallic path to. NEC doesn't care about electronics and how they interpret the voltage levels on the gnd prong of a 3-prong receptacle - that's a design issue, not a code issue.
I wanted to edit your post down to something smaller but you have questions and statements spread throughout.

You are wrong Tony.

250.114 requires Information Technology Equipment to be grounded.

UL has determined along with international standards what Information Technology Equipment is.

End of story, the NEC does not recognize "a defacto connection"

I can not, nor do I have to explain why this "defacto connection" would not be adequate.

The NEC has determined it is not satisfactory, that is all you or I need to know.

[ November 01, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hey Bob, I'm curious to see how Tony contradicts himself here. ;)

I mean his position on BX in this thread and others seem to contradict. :roll:

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Oh, BTW, sorry about my conciseness again. :D

Roger

tonyi

Originally posted by roger:
Hey Bob, I'm curious to see how Tony contradicts himself here. ;)

I mean his position on BX in this thread and others seem to contradict. :roll:

Roger
Not at all. When I advocate GFCI for protecting old BX, I recognize that the armor IS in fact a metallic connection that is good enough to pass enough current to trip a GFCI even though we can't use it for EG.

Explain this supposed contradiction. Please be specific.

iwire

Staff member

When I advocate GFCI for protecting old BX, I recognize that the armor IS in fact a metallic connection that is good enough to pass enough current to trip a GFCI even though we can't use it for EG.
What you have been advocating is using the BX armor as a ground for "reference" or a "defacto connection" which is a violation of 250.118.

My position as I posted earlier was this.

Posted by me
So while we are allowed to put a 3 wire GFCI protected outlet in as a replacement, the homeowner can not plug in anything that needs grounding

As the homeowner will not be aware of this (even with the No equipment ground label) or even care, the only responsible thing to do IMO is use a two wire replacement to prevent or at least inhibit the homeowner in plugging in things that need grounding.

You may still want to provide GFCI protection on this circuit as a kind of belt and suspenders approach.
As you can see I think the GFCI is a good idea I am just not comfortable leaving the homeowner with the impression of a grounding conductor.

Can you define "defacto" and please be specific? :D

tonyi

I dare you to walk through any CompUSA/Office Depot/OfficeMax, look around, then come back and say this again with a straight face and try to get anyone to belive that your definition is what is what's in use in the real world.

The number of grounded power bricks I ever recall seeing can be counted on one hand. The 2-prongers could fill a football stadium.

iwire

Staff member

I dare you to walk through any Comp USA/Office Depot/Office Max, look around, then come back and say this again with a straight face and try to get anyone to believe that your definition is what is what's in use in the real world.

The number of grounded power bricks I ever recall seeing can be counted on one hand. The 2-prongers could fill a football stadium.
Tony it is not my definition it is UL and International Standards.

I certainly do not look at my phone answering machine as "Information Technology Equipment"
but UL does.

There you go again picking and choosing the codes you wish to follow.

I have just spent the last few Weekends installing outlets guess where?

Comp USA, :D and you know what all them had grounds as that is the norm now so calling the equipment Information Technology Equipment at those places makes little difference.

If you doubt I was just working at Comp USA I can provide some links to forums where I talked about it. :D

Tony you or I do not get to pick what we call the equipment we wire.

Give it up, you are not allowed to use the armor on BX as any kind of ground.

Is it done? Sure

Is there any such thing as a "defacto" ground connection in the NEC? No.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I think Bob has pointed out all the real and pertinant facts here.

Of course a computer programer may not agree.

Tony, good dance in your argument, but no substance. :)

Roger

[ November 01, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

tonyi

I am just not comfortable leaving the homeowner with the impression of a grounding conductor.

Can you define "defacto" and please be specific?
That's why the "no EG stickers" exist.

Defacto? Get out your VOM, connect it to the neutral and box. If it reads something other than infinity, you've got a connection in my book. What would you propose to do about it?

I suggest accepting that it exists rather than being in denial. I suppose you could use those cheapo plastic backstrap recepticals and bend the grounding clip back so it doesn't contact the screw/box. That would eliminate the DEFACTO connection back to the panel (and defeat the GFCI's ability to trip if some fault current were to try and wander down that DEFACTO connection)

Reality check: if you leave 2-prongs there, the dude WILL go buy a 3-prong adapter and plug his stuff in anyway and completely ignore the sticker, and if its a BX system he'll be lucky and his stuff will in fact work fine, because that old armor WILL do all that the electronics are going to need.

If its 2-wire NM or K&T and the guy whips in the 3-prong adapter, then he's SOL and his stuff may not work right.

I have ZERO CONTROL over what people plug into their house wiring. None. I just want to make it safe. Something not working right isn't unsafe. Joe Sixpack doesn't give a hoot about the NEC or UL, and if you told him he can't plug his computer in, he'll likely laugh his a$$ off while he's booting you out the door, then go plug in his 3-prong adapter (not hook it to the faceplate screw either) and party on.

You put the GFCI in, put the 3-prongs in, put the stickers on. We don't have enforcement powers over what people plug in.

G

lips.gif

tonyi

Originally posted by roger:
I think Bob has pointed out all the real and pertinant facts here.

Of course a computer programer may not agree.

Tony, good dance in your argument, but no substance. :)

Roger
The real and pertinant fact here is that people are going to plug stuff in even if Roger, the NEC, or UL doesn't like it.

You can remain in denial, or accept this reality and provide for an installation that is safe under any circumstances, and in some circumstances (like BX) may in fact work better than the user might expect it to. I fail to see the problem with something working better than expected when the hapless user ignores all warnings/manuals/etc - i.e. behaves like users are prone to do 99.999% of the time.

I suggest you and UL form a new plug Gestapo police to raid houses and remove all the offending installations running off 3-prong adapters out there. Good luck.

tonyi

I have just spent the last few Weekends installing outlets guess where?

Comp USA, and you know what all them had grounds as that is the norm now so calling the equipment Information Technology Equipment at those places makes little difference
Nonsequitor. Nobody installs new 2-prongs in a new installation. I'm talking about THE GEAR THEY SELL. There are LOTS and LOTS of 2-prong devices being sold that VERY CLEARLY fall under this supposed ITE category (using your definition that is)

iwire

Staff member

]That's why the "no EG stickers" exist.
Contradiction 1

The stickers will do more than leaving a two wire outlet with GFCI protection.

Defacto? Get out your VOM, connect it to the neutral and box. If it reads something other than infinity, you've got a connection in my book. What would you propose to do about it?.
Like I said leave a two wire outlet there and you will not have appliances tying to use the armor for a grounding means

Reality check: if you leave 2-prongs there, the dude WILL go buy a 3-prong adapter and plug his stuff in anyway and completely ignore the sticker,
Right and I think I addressed this when I said this.

posted by Me
the only responsible thing to do IMO is use a two wire replacement to prevent or at least inhibit the homeowner in plugging in things that need grounding.
At least in this way the homeowner needs to make a purposeful effort to use grounding plugs in this ungrounded outlet instead of just ignoring a sticker.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Tony,
You can remain in denial, or accept this reality and provide for an installation that is safe under any circumstances
HUH?

Tony, let me enlighten you with your fantasies, you can try your best to make things idiot proof and the idiots will rise to the occassion and beat you every time. Hope this helps in your future trials and tribulations.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.