Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc

Swimming pool indoors with the pump motors in a separate room. The pump motors are bonded and grounded. The question I have is does the time clock and disconnect switch that controls the pumps on the wall have to have # 8 bond wire to them?

jwelectric

Re: Bonding

680.26 (B) (4) Electrical Equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system, including pump motors and metal parts of equipment associated with pool covers, including electric motors, shall be bonded. Accessible metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation and providing a means for grounding internal nonaccessible, non?current-carrying metal parts shall not be bonded by a direct connection to the equipotential bonding grid. The means for grounding internal nonaccessible, non?current carrying metal parts shall be an equipment grounding conductor run with the power-supply conductors in the case of motors supplied with a flexible cord, or a grounding terminal in the case of motors intended for permanent connection.
Where a double-insulated water-pump motor is installed under the provisions of this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor that is of sufficient length to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor shall be extended from the bonding grid to an accessible point in the motor vicinity. Where there is no connection between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Hmmm, that didn't help me... Is a pump motor time clock "associated with the pool water circultaion system"?

My time clock is not bonded, nor does it have provisions to mount the bonding wire, nor is it double insulated (in fact its pretty scary with just a thin sheet of curvy plastic covering the 240V terminals). But I can see how an inspector could require it to be bonded.

Has anyone out there been required to bond the time clock (or are there inspectors who demand it)?

fc

If it was not a time clock and lets say it was a wall switch located 200' away or we use the circuit breaker to turn the pumps on would they need # 8 bond. Would it be considered to be part of the circulating system? If so then I guess the panel would have to be part of the bonding grid.

Kenosha

Thats what I love about these forums. They get you more confused than when you started asking the question. No one seems to be able to answer the intent of the code they all seem to only quote the code. Dont take my word for it but if the timer is feeding the pump motor and the motor is bonded why would you bond the timer?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

If the timer works by means of contacts, I'd say it's not really required. If someone were to be a stick in the mud, yes, technically it is associated with the system; but control circuits that never leave the pool equipment room don't have much of a chance of injuring people in or near the pool, IMO. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.