Bonding to meter conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I replaced a main panel at a residence. The ground rods and water bond are on the front of the house and the meter is on the rear of the house.
I assume I need to install an intersystem bonding terminal at the service. How can I bond the terminal to the metal pipe connected to the meter base?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If I understand the question, you want to connect the intersystem terminal to the service conduit?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I replaced a main panel at a residence. The ground rods and water bond are on the front of the house and the meter is on the rear of the house.
I assume I need to install an intersystem bonding terminal at the service. How can I bond the terminal to the metal pipe connected to the meter base?
Just drill a hole in the side of the meter can and use a nut and bolt attached #6 lug. Jumper from that to the IBT.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Or use a grounding pipe clamp on the service conduit and attach the IBT to it.

Any particular reason why you need to attach the IBT to the service conduit? Why not do as Textie suggested or just attach it to the building with two screws?

Just use this style and install to a KO on the bottom of the meter socket. No bonding jumper or tapping onto the neutral required.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Just use this style and install to a KO on the bottom of the meter socket. No bonding jumper or tapping onto the neutral required.

It also works from a 1/2" rigid conduit and placed inline. Nice product, dont know why I don't see more used. I still see new installs that the telecom uses a split bolt onto the GEC. Even seen one that even though a bonding bridge was supplied the telecom used a slit bolt (not a foot from the bridge), Even though code calls for this or an external bus in 250.94.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It also works from a 1/2" rigid conduit and placed inline. Nice product, dont know why I don't see more used. I still see new installs that the telecom uses a split bolt onto the GEC. Even seen one that even though a bonding bridge was supplied the telecom used a slit bolt (not a foot from the bridge), Even though code calls for this or an external bus in 250.94.
It seems like WE are the only ones that know what an IBB is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.