Bonding metallic trough bus bar and EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have metallic trough load side of service disconnect means whose enclosure needs to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor. The trough has equipment grounding bus bar inside it.

In attached Figure 1 right hand side Equipment grounding conductor (EGC) is incoming in trough terminates and connects to the equipment grounding bus bar. Another equipment grounding conductor from bus bar starts connected to bus bar and goes out to loads. That’s the way I see it usually.

However the designer does not want to splice, terminate EGC and wants to be continuous. So Figure #2 left hand side he connects incoming EGC with following connector to the equipment ground bus bar:

One side of the connector connects to the bus bar and the screw side to continuous incoming EGC so the EGC is continuous.

Questions. Please answer all three questions below not just parts I did appreciate your help I am stuck:

1. Is the connector listed for grounding and bonding can be used for bonding to bus bar or it can just be for cables?

2. Which of the two methods is more safer?

3. Does the code allow to do the connection to ground bus bar with the connector method so the EGC remains continuous Figure 2 or Figure 1 it has to land on the ground bus bar and another EGC from bus bar goes outward is allowed or both?

Attachments

• AD8D95DE-DD63-4F0F-A567-9E1E261EA1DA.jpeg
    AD8D95DE-DD63-4F0F-A567-9E1E261EA1DA.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 12

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have metallic trough load side of service disconnect means whose enclosure needs to be connected to the equipment grounding conductor. The trough has equipment grounding bus bar inside it.

In attached Figure 1 right hand side Equipment grounding conductor (EGC) is incoming in trough terminates and connects to the equipment grounding bus bar. Another equipment grounding conductor from bus bar starts connected to bus bar and goes out to loads. That’s the way I see it usually.

However the designer does not want to splice, terminate EGC and wants to be continuous. So Figure #2 left hand side he connects incoming EGC with following connector to the equipment ground bus bar:

One side of the connector connects to the bus bar and the screw side to continuous incoming EGC so the EGC is continuous.

Questions. Please answer all three questions below not just parts I did appreciate your help I am stuck:

1. Is the connector listed for grounding and bonding can be used for bonding to bus bar or it can just be for cables?

2. Which of the two methods is more safer?

3. Does the code allow to do the connection to ground bus bar with the connector method so the EGC remains continuous Figure 2 or Figure 1 it has to land on the ground bus bar and another EGC from bus bar goes outward is allowed or both?

Would anyone know the web link post #1 connector can it be used to connect the wire type equipment grounding conductor to the equipment grounding bus bar or not? Anyone here have any experience is it code complaint or not?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Would anyone know the web link post #1 connector can it be used to connect the wire type equipment grounding conductor to the equipment grounding bus bar or not? Anyone here have any experience is it code complaint or not?

Please I am stuck if anyone can assist would be greatly appreciated.

Here is another link wonder if this connector can it be used to connect the wire type equipment grounding conductor to listed equipment grounding bus bar in trough or not? Anyone here have any experience is it code complaint or not:

Status
Not open for further replies.