Bonding jumper across water meter needed with bypass pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isupowerplant

Installing a grounding electrode at a building's incoming water service per NEC 250.52(A)(1) and the plan was to jumper across water meter. However, contractor asked if the jumper was necessary due to the bypass pipe below the section with the meter. I am of the opinion that the jumper is not needed, assuming all the piping is mechanically continuous. See picture with grounding electrode conductor attached to the exterior side of the meter. Thank you for your review and opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I am curious about plumbing aspects of this install. Is there a valve in the bypass pipe that we can't see from the photo, or is some of the water flow supposed to bypass the meter as part of normal operation?

Thanks
Jon

isupowerplant

I am curious about plumbing aspects of this install. Is there a valve in the bypass pipe that we can't see from the photo, or is some of the water flow supposed to bypass the meter as part of normal operation?

Thanks
Jon
Great question. Yes, there is a valve in the bypass that you can see in this picture. I did have to ask our chief mechanical engineer about this water piping installation, because it does not appear to be standard (not that I review too many water piping installations). IMG_3676.JPG

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
That's normal on some commercial/industrial installations. If water is required whiles the meter is being replaced. Usually the bypass line has a lock on it

Grouch1980

If I can please add to this thread...
I was recently asked if a bonding jumper across the water meter is required by the NEC code. it looks like its not specifically addressed by the NEC. and you only require the bonding jumper in a case such as described above where for example, you don't have the bypass pipe going around the water meter. is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.