Bonding / Grounding neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

jibber

I wired a 200A meter/box combo from the primary to the side of a quality shed. From there I ran 285'of the 200A triplex underground and terminated it where I was building my house. I then came up in 2" into another 200A main breaker box and bonded it to the neutral and box.

Now, this is a daylight basement so I ran a 60A feeder to the basement with #6 copper, but don't know whether to bond the neutral or not. Should I?

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: Bonding / Grounding neutral

If after tapping the feeders You came underground that would be the first point of entry,but if you came in pipe above grade,IMHO local distances would apply,Here its 5 FT. Just my opinion
;)

hurk27

I think what Jibber is asking is whether or not bond the neutrals in this 60 amp panel. And my answer is the 200 amp panel should not have been bonded if the meter has the main in it. there should have been 4 conductors ran to the 200 amp panel and 4 wires ran to the 60 amp panel as these are on the load side of the service disconnect. of course that depends on if the meter box/combo is in fact a meter/main then the main in the meter is the service disconnect.
The other question is 285' of 200 amp triplex? do you mean 3/0 or 2/0 wire? if you do then you should have a very good voltage drop if the service every gets loaded close to the 80% just Waite until that air-conditioner kicks in.

jibber

hurk27 -- Thanks for your reply. I wasn't very clear in describing my question; sorry!

The inspector has passed the underground triplex (4/0) from the main meter to the house, so evidently he will be counting the house as the main 200A disconnect. I have bonded the neutral at the house and ran the 4 conductors to the basement. Should I bond the neutral?

iwire

Staff member

Is this a correct description of your service?

200 amp meter main breaker combo at a remote location.

From there 285' of 4/0 triplex (2 hots and neutral no separate EGC) then feeds a 200 amp main breaker panel.

From that 200 amp panel you are feeding another panel (60 amp) with four conductors in the basement of the same building that the 200 amp panel is located in.

If that is what you have do the following:

Bond at the meter main combo and install grounding electrodes.

Bond again at the 200 amp main breaker panel and connect grounding electrodes.

Do not bond the 60 amp panel in the basement.

The meter main at the remote location is still the service disconnect and the 4/0 triplex is a feeder run under the provisions of 250.32(B)(2)

You can not have any continuous metallic paths bonded to the grounding system in both buildings or structures involved. (The remote meter main and the 200 amp panel)

If my description of your installation is not correct let me know where it is off.

Bob

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

The easiest explination is this...If a back to back service or a main disc. adjacent to or back to back to the meter thats a 3 wire system any panels after that have to be 4 wire systems plain and simple.

iwire

Staff member

Allan it is not that plain and simple.

It sounds to me like he has a service disconnect 285' away from a panel at the house with only 3 conductors between them.

In this case he must bond in both places.

jibber

i-wire --

That's an exact description of my situation. And I have done all that you said, but feel alot more confident about the installation. I have 4 electrodes; 2 at the meter and the other 2 at the house with no bonding in the basement.

Thanks for everyone responding. You guys are teriffic!

Status
Not open for further replies.