Bonding gas pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_DAVIS

Re: Bonding gas pipe

Alomo,never,never,never,never ground or bond a gas pipe! (the only stupid question is a unasked question.)

bphgravity

D_Davis, the bonding of a gas pipe is sometimes very important and required by the NEC. See section 250.104(B).

iwire

Staff member

250.104(B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that may become energized shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122 using the rating of the circuit that may energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

I had to move an exisiting service in a Cook Co. community, and was required to upgrade the ground to 4 guage, install the bonding jumper at the water meter, install a grounding rod ouside, and GROUND THE HOT WATER, COLD WATER, AND GAS PIPE AT THE WATER HEATER, PER CODE.
I still have the inspector's notes in my files.

ryan_618

Originally posted by problemsolver600:
I had to move an exisiting service in a Cook Co. community, and was required to upgrade the ground to 4 guage, install the bonding jumper at the water meter, install a grounding rod ouside, and GROUND THE HOT WATER, COLD WATER, AND GAS PIPE AT THE WATER HEATER, PER CODE.
I still have the inspector's notes in my files.
And what is your concern?

mpd

outdoor hot tubs are bonded in accordance with
680.26 (B) (5), indoor hot tubs are bonded in
accordance with 680.43(D), if within 5ft horizontally from the hot tub, yes it must be bonded.

Status
Not open for further replies.