Bonding CATV/Telecommunications to meter socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobo

I have a clamp on my meter socket that my cable TV provider used to bond their ground to the socket enclosure. I assume they did it thinking it bonds to the electrical service ground. Is this an approved method for them to do so?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
They can do anything they want as long as it's bonded to ground. That said, I have seen them put a ground clamp on the PVC conduit on top of the meter. :dunce:

-Hal

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
After reading your other post about meter loop grounding, it would seem that a CATV installer wouldn't have a clue even if it was metallic conduit. Just goes to show that the company training can't just tell inexperienced people they hire for installers to ground to the service mast or meter without learning why.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a clamp on my meter socket that my cable TV provider used to bond their ground to the socket enclosure. I assume they did it thinking it bonds to the electrical service ground. Is this an approved method for them to do so?

Yes.

mobo

After reading your other post about meter loop grounding, it would seem that a CATV installer wouldn't have a clue even if it was metallic conduit. Just goes to show that the company training can't just tell inexperienced people they hire for installers to ground to the service mast or meter without learning why.

-Hal

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.