Bonding and Meyers Hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveve1

Some AHJ's in my area do not consider a Meyers Hub adequate to comply with the requirements of Art. 250-94 (1999). The use of the word "approved" rather than "listed" seems to be the arguing point. Some input from those with knowledge on this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Bonding and Meyers Hubs

I have seen information that the meyers hub is listed as a fitting and does not meet the intent of 250.94. The meyers hub has lock ring with a bonding screw that can be ordered, a bonding jumper is installed to the screw.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Myers Hubs that are not specifically listed for grounding are not compliant.

You also need to be careful with Crouse-Hinds. If they don't actually show the UL "E" number with a product in their catalog, "compliance" with a UL Standard may only be implied, but not a fact. The aluminum grounding fitting, for example. Usually the products are indeed listed, but you have to check.

[Edit Add: I am not saying the aluminum grounding fitting is not listed; I am saying it is an example of something that would need to be checked specifically.

[ September 21, 2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

steveve1

TOM AND BOB, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. AFTER SOME RESEARCH, UL E59509 APPLIES FOR GROUNDING STYLE MEYERS HUBS. CROUSE-HINDS DOES HAVE SEVERAL LISTED PRODUCTS. ODD THAT THEY ARE ALL "SPECIAL ORDER" HERE IN TUCSON. WITH THE INCREASING ATTENTION TO THIS ISSUE FROM OUR INSPECTORS IN THE AREA, I EXPECT THESE TO BE SHELF STOCK SOON.
THANKS AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.